Fantastic litter box skills... but only during the day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybun

Reaction score
It's taken a few weeks, but Winston is great with the litter box. But only during the day. I put him in his cage when I sleep, and when I wake up the floor of the cage is covered in his rabbit poops.

There shouldn't be any confusion because I only have litter in the box, and the bottom of the cage is only lined with some newspaper.

Is this normal, and has anybody had a rabbit that's done this? What's a good solution to this problem?

I put 3 corner litter boxes in their cage when they were little! they would pee here and there too. It worked great! now that they are neutered they are great with just one!!! once you get yours fixed , litter habits will be better. good luck

I'm still not sure what to make of this! At first, I thought maybe it was because he didn't like being in the cage with the door locked, but he still uses the litter box when I keep him in the cage during the day if I'm away from home for a long time. It's only at night when I'm sleeping that he stops using the litter box!

He's also starting to smell funny, but I can't make out what that is either??

If I understand correctly, he is still peeing in his litterbox as he should. He's just pooing on his cage. That sounds to me like he is just marking his cage as his cage. Training is more about urine. Stray poos are common, especially in his own space.
That said, he could be approaching his hormonal stage. Some rabbits lose their litter habits then. Neutering will help. Neutered rabbits also litter train more easily.

I might try sleeping with the lights on tonight to see if that changes anything, but I have no guesses for why this is happening only at night!

If I understand correctly, he is still peeing in his litterbox as he should. He's just pooing on his cage. That sounds to me like he is just marking his cage as his cage. Training is more about urine. Stray poos are common, especially in his own space.
That said, he could be approaching his hormonal stage. Some rabbits lose their litter habits then. Neutering will help. Neutered rabbits also litter train more easily.

:yeahthat:

During the day my bun seems to be the least active, perhaps yours is too which could be why it seems he is reliably using his box when really he is sleeping. I didn't think Z would ever use the litter box, no matter where I put it he would urinate right near it or somewhere else in his cage. I placed his hay in a bowl that fits nicely in the corner of his cage litter box. Eventually he got the hint. He has two boxes one in his little courtyard which he uses to urinate in and his little corner box inside his cage that he usually poops in. He isn't 100% reliable about urinating out of the box but he certainly does it less frequently. I would love to have him totally reliable with urinating in the box, not worried about the droppings. Have you tried putting hay in the box? Good luck with your little guy.

It's marking, Buttons did this until a few days after his neuter but still urinated in his tray. They still have a few stray droppings if they sit eating pellets for a while (they like to eat and poop at the same time.) try putting some hay in one end of the litter tray to encourage him to eat/poop there which may minimise it but tbh the problem won't stop until he's neutered. Just lots of sweeping to do for you!:)

I already have hay in his litter box, but it sounds like I'll just have to be patient until I get him neutered. Thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Back