Family on Facebook

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom and dad have me on facebook, as do some of the aunts/cousins.

My mom is not the type to comment everything, or use the facebook chat. She likes a lot of my posts but a lot of my posts are like "woo 95% on this test" etc, so I can see why she'd like them haha. My dad doesn't use facebook, but he has one. :p

I really dislike the chat anyways so I'm always offline.

I wouldn't want my grandparents on there though, they think the word 'fart' is a curse word, so they wouldn't be happy with my facebook at times.

You can turn off the chat and it will not show you online to anyone so she won't think you're ignoring her :) I often have to turn my chat off because I have one woman who while she is sooo nice she is soooo annoying and she tends to start chatting 2 min before she knows I leave for work.

Also all my old co-workers are great so I don't mind having them on my facebook. I'm always pretty friendly/close with people I work with, I'm friends with a lot of them.

Jynxie wrote:
My mom and dad have me on facebook, as do some of the aunts/cousins.

My mom is not the type to comment everything, or use the facebook chat. She likes a lot of my posts but a lot of my posts are like "woo 95% on this test" etc, so I can see why she'd like them haha. My dad doesn't use facebook, but he has one. :p

I really dislike the chat anyways so I'm always offline.

I wouldn't want my grandparents on there though, they think the word 'fart' is a curse word, so they wouldn't be happy with my facebook at times.
About the word "fart": you can always use the word "fluff" in place of the word "fart". Or put that someone "bunny fluffed".

I dont mind atall friending family or co-workers. You can place all your friends into "lists" and then go into your privacy settings and set who will see your posts and who will not. Also, with the chat, you can also set lists so you will only appear "online" to certain people (which is an alternative to going "offline" on chat to everyone). I dont sweat adding people I know, especially family... I love my family. I would never hurt ther feelings by ignoring their friend requests, but I also need my privacy and I dont want them to see or read everything on my FB either. Just explore all your privacy settings, set them where you feel comfortable and then there wont be a problem friending someone who you dont want to see the posts and activity on your page. Easy-Peasy! Also, when you go to put up a status message there is a little "lock" icon on the left off the message box where you can edit who sees that particular post and who doesnt. Dont sweat it... everyones on FB now, moms, dads, uncles, aunts, cousins, grams & gramps, etc... its all good and not wierd atall (atleast to me anyways).

:biggrin:

I don't have the best relationship with my family and I have them on my Facebook after they kept pestering. Often, someone will complain that they see me about but I'm not contacting them or anything. I make sure to catch up every once in a while so they understand that I am not exactly wanting to cut all contact but I have made it clear that I have my own things and will do what I want when I want so if it means playing a game instead of sitting to chat with one of them, so be it. My facebook chat caused me so many problems because people thought I was ignoring them when really the chat was glitching and either showing me offline or online when I wasn't so I have kept it offline permanently. I tried it a while back to chat with a friend but it caused more problems so I do not bother with it anymore.

For a while, I did have two separate Facebook accounts - one for friends, and one for family and people I wanted to keep a certain distance with. It became hard to juggle though so I only have one but if someone complains, I tell them that if it bothers them, they'd best take me off Facebook and call/e-mailwhen they really need to talk.

(I am quite selective of my friends and I don't add people just because I 'know' them. I normally have to have known the person for a long time before I add them on it.)

It's probably best you tell your mother that you use Facebook as a quick posting media rather than something you actually want to sit at and chat. Maybe you could encourage her to email you more so that you can reply back when you have the time and desire to chit chat?

Hugs!

All of my family is on facebook and they are all my friends I kinda like it because I'm not one for making phone calls. Facebook is just easy.

I started on Facebook because my family essentially forced me. It is the primary way my siblings communicate and share pictures, and they used the lure of pictures of new puppies and such to force me to join. It is the main way I talk to my brother, sister, and their spouses.

I'm friends with some of my cousins, and Uncles and Aunts except aunts and uncles are heavily, heavily restricted on what they can see of mine, pictures etc are no go's! I don't get up to any dodge things but the thought of sitting over family dinner and my Aunt bringing up the fact she saw me drunk somewhere I can't imagine it going down well haha. I also have all my chats etc sorted into groups, lets just say I'm anal about my FB!

I finally had to do it. I hid my online status. I love my mother, but since she has retired and does nothing but sit at home and do nothing I can't entertain her. The family has been very supportive in attempting to get her involved in activities, etc., but she always has an excuse not to. I hate to say this, but I'm done. If she refuses to do anything for herself in spite of family support, then tough love has to be the answer.

Thankfully my family are technophobes. I am the only one who owns a computer. One family has it for their business and keeping records, but no internet.

However, I am friends with most of my fiance's family. They message me about once a week, but tend to spend more energy on sending me a text or calling me than with Facebook.

I'm "friends" with quite a few of my family members on facebook. I also have a few co-workers on there. But I am a big fan of using lists and privacy controls. Co-workers are extremely limited as to what they can see. I also lock out certain lists of people from seeing some updates, pictures, etc. (Mostly, co-workers!)

I also keep my chat offline, most of the time.

I have my nieces, nephews and sisters on FB, they have no problem with me reading what they write as they really don't write anything that they are embarrassed about and neither do I.

I'm just shocked at what some people put on Facebook. Do they not realize that alot of people can see how ridiculous they are and some of the pictures I've seen on FB. I really wonder why so many people have to put their Drunken pictures on their of them making complete fools of themselves.

Honestly I was at my last job and theywent onto FB to check out prospective employees, quite a few didn't even get a call let alone a interview because of what they had on their FB. Believe meat some point those pictures and comments will come back to haunt them.

Patti how old is your Mom? I just wish my Mom and Dadwere still alive so I could have them on FB, mind you they probably wouldn't have a clue about computers.:shock:

Susan:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
Patti how old is your Mom? I just wish my Mom and Dadwere still alive so I could have them on FB, mind you they probably wouldn't have a clue about computers.:shock:

Susan:)
My mom will be 68 in September. I don't write anything that I wouldn't want her or any other family member to read, it's just that I really don't have time to chat every day.

playing catch up here! im 'friends' with my kids, which i know some parents have issues with. it's also a great way to keep in touch with my cousin and ex sister in law.

I have some distant family on facebook, but I don't speak to my immediate family, except my brother. I have almost all my co-wokers, though. We're very close to each other. I don't censor myself at all. There's the understanding that this is my home/private life, I can say what I want. Two of my managers are my friends, in RL and on FB, and they post all the time about how they hate their jobs, so it's cool. There's no drama, really.

My mom used to be on my facebook before our falling out, and we would talk through comments, chat, message, then text each other, call, and e-mail. People thought it was hilarious, because we were constantly bantering with each other.

I'm friends with my family and I don't have trouble with them. Of course, they never post on any of my things, and I have chat turned off. There are certain people who constantly want to chat, and that gets annoying =P The only family member I'm not friends with is my dad. That probably wouldn't go to well, but, thankfully he never goes on facebook :)

Latest posts

Back