Failed Food Transition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

Reaction score
I own a male Mini Rex. He won't eat hay and was a little overweight, so I decided to change his food to Sherwood Adult rabbit food. He refused to eat it, so when I tried transferring him incrementally he must not of been eating enough because he went into GI Stasis. He is fine now, recovering and gaining back some lost weight. I am afraid he will go into GI Stasis again if I retry. But I still want him to change foods any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi, you can try again with increasing their new pellets more slowly, over 2-3 weeks. Or you can just cut his portions, if he's not happy give him half in the morning and half in the evening and then put fresh hay so he can switch to hay if he's still hungry

The reason I chose this pellet is because he sadly won't eat hay.

Have you tried different types of hay? Stuffing toys with hay? Sprinkling pellets on hay? Long hay or chopped hay? Braided hay? Different types of hay mangers? Filling a cardboard box with hay? With hay and pellets, small box? Brown bag with hay?

As said, it can take weeks to slowly transition a rabbit to a new food. Just cut back a tablespoon or so on his normal food and add in a tablespoon of Sherwood. Keep doing that for a few days. Then make it 2 tablespoons less of his usual and add 2 tablespoons of Sherwood. Again feed this for several days. Continue doing this bit by bit until he is on nothing but the Sherwood.

If he's not a hay eater, hopefully you got the version of sherwood adult food that is made specifically for rabbits who are not good hay eaters. (They have 2 adult versions -- one for good hay eaters and one for poor hay eaters.)

I did get the one for poor hay eaters. That's is why I picked it, also probably why he doesn't like it.:p:) He is a picky eater for sure.

Have you tried different types of hay? Stuffing toys with hay? Sprinkling pellets on hay? Long hay or chopped hay? Braided hay? Different types of hay mangers? Filling a cardboard box with hay? With hay and pellets, small box? Brown bag with hay?
Sadly I have tried all but braided hay, to no avail.

Latest posts

Back