Faded smoke pearl?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laylabunny

Reaction score
I had a buck at one point that was smoke pearl, but looked like he'd been completely sunbleached. Even after having him inside and going through a molt, he regained some blue color on his head, but that was all. I disliked the color so much that I gave him to a breeder friend that loved him to death.

My own smoke pearl doe does not have the faded appearance. However, she had two smoke pearl bucks in her first litter. One had the brown tones immediately, and the other did not. What is the cause of this? What is going on genetically? :?

This is my buck:

Aragorn11.jpg

Here is his mother:

CarlySimon2.jpg

I don't have a pedigree on the mother or father. I saw the parents of both, but that's it. The buck supposedly has a pedigree, but I didn't get it when I bought him.

He has so much hair I would guess that he is the same color as the mom, just lighter because of the hair length.

His father is a siamese sable. The father's parents were a smoke pearl and a siamese sable. The mother's parents were a blue and a siamese sable. I'm trying to find a picture of him that shows it better. His eye color was actually wrong too. He had brown eyes.

My Smokey is a smoke pearl :) I was looking for a blue but I am happy I got him!

Anyways the gene that makes pointed animals, cats, mice, rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs etc is a acromelanic gene, it makes the colder parts of the animal darker, the colder the points are the darker the color is. I have bred siamese mice for years and in the warmer months their points lighten up quite a bit and when it gets colder their points darken. I recently got what I thought was a chocolate point mouse and now his points are seal. The place I got him from is quiet a bit warmer then my house. So the point of my rambling is he could have got lighter because it's summer and he is warmer. Although his ears dont really look blue too me.

He is like a smutty smoke pearl color. I have a smoke pearl lionhead doe with the same color. and after her first litter she pulled herself bald. then her color grew back in the right color. Some of my stock came from the same lady you got yours from.

Latest posts

Back