Eye scratches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bambigirl

Reaction score
I brought in my daughters 7 year old bunny a few days ago . We had one bunny pass away and she offered to us to keep our other bunny company.

my ex wife actually had taken care of her since my daughter lives out of town. I noticed her eyes were watering terribly . I asked my daughter about it and they really hadn’t noticed before .

I immediately took her to the vet and they said both eyes are scratched. I can visibly see the scratches. She is on pain meds and antibiotic drops. Hopefully, she starts to heal within a week or so.

I have no idea what caused the scratches but have narrowed it down to the following :

1) she doesn’t have good eyesight ( she had cataract surgery at 3 years), and she may be bumping into things

2) my ex put wood shavings in her litter box. I removed those and replaced with care fresh paper bedding. The wood shavings we’re getting stuck to everything and guessing her paw as well, which may have scratched her when she scratches herself

3) I had her nails trimmed, they seemed pretty long, but not too bad

Hopefully, the problem will be resolved. She seems more comfortable now with her meds

Maybe also have the vet check to make sure the eyelashes aren't rubbing the eyes causing the scratches. I have a rabbit that as she's gotten older, had this problem develop.

Latest posts

Back