Eye Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilhelmina

Reaction score
My 10 year old bun started having one runny eye, this was mild so that we weren't even sure if it was runny for while probably 6 mos. or more ago. Now the other eye started and is much much worse. We took him to the vet which was a terrifying feat as he hates to be picked up and we don't pick him up. He weathered the vet and she gave us drops Torranycin ophthalmic Solution 2x a day for a week. They didn't seem to make much difference although I worry just how much we got in his eyes which involved holding a "hates to held " bunny and chasing him around to catch him etc.. Dr. then prescribed an ointment Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulphated and Bacitracin Zinc which is even harder to get in his eyes and still not much improvement.( And the ointment has gotten all over his face fur and I can't really get it out...suggestions welcome for this too)
He is holding that eye closed at times as well. First eye is better. I would welcome any ideas. He is his normal self, running, eating, getting pets. Not sure if it relevant but he did seem to lose some weight a few weeks ago when I was away taking care of my Mom. And he's a tiny bunny not 3 pounds.
Not sure if I'm posting this correctly so feel free to tell me how to do it.
Wilhelmina

Hi, I was wondering if your rabbit's eye was red or swollen. What made your vet think it was an infection? My rabbit started having a runny eye as well but I'm not sure if its an infections since the eye itself looks normal. The fluid that is coming out is slightly milky looking but its definitely not super white and thick.

Also, when you pick up and hold your bun, do you use a towel or blanket? My bun also hates being picked up and held but its a lot easier when I use a towel to do it. I usually have my bf wrap him up like a burrito while I give the meds.

The worse eye had a bit of red on the rim. Dr had alluded to allergies but later when the drops hadn't worked she said it wasn't likely as one eye was worse than the other. But neither the drops or the ointment did much good. We have stopped them both but really don't know what to do. At least the trauma of get chased around to be picked up is over. Some days I just put a moist warm tissue on his eye and he often just lets me do it.
Dr. said that milky is the normal color of their tears.
Burrito idea is good! Used to do that to give my cats meds......why didn't I think of that for my bun! Thank you for responding!

I have a rabbit that is 10 1/2 years old. He had watery eyes often. I have taken him to the vet, and she has flushed his eyes. That has not worked. My vet told me that it can be related to old age. I have noticed that the problem is a lot worse when he digs in his litter box. I changed his litter boxes to scatter proof litter boxes, and that has helped the most. The problem has almost completely gone away.

Did the vet use the dye to check and make sure this wasn't being caused by ulcerated corneas?
Medirabbit (ulcerated cornea)

If that was ruled out other possibilities are blocked tear ducts, entropian where the eyelashes are rubbing on the eye which can later lead to ulcerated corneas, overgrown tooth roots pressing on and blocking tear duct drainage, or a few other possibilities.
Medirabbit (runny eyes in rabbits)
https://rabbit.org/chronic-runny-eyes-in-rabbits/

The worse eye had a bit of red on the rim. Dr had alluded to allergies but later when the drops hadn't worked she said it wasn't likely as one eye was worse than the other. But neither the drops or the ointment did much good. We have stopped them both but really don't know what to do. At least the trauma of get chased around to be picked up is over. Some days I just put a moist warm tissue on his eye and he often just lets me do it.
Dr. said that milky is the normal color of their tears.
Burrito idea is good! Used to do that to give my cats meds......why didn't I think of that for my bun! Thank you for responding!

Sorry the medicine didn't work. Has his eyes improved at all?

Did the vet use the dye to check and make sure this wasn't being caused by ulcerated corneas?
Medirabbit (ulcerated cornea)

If that was ruled out other possibilities are blocked tear ducts, entropian where the eyelashes are rubbing on the eye which can later lead to ulcerated corneas, overgrown tooth roots pressing on and blocking tear duct drainage, or a few other possibilities.
Medirabbit (runny eyes in rabbits)
https://rabbit.org/chronic-runny-eyes-in-rabbits/
No she didn't use dye...so didn't check for ulcerated corneas. She did check her teeth but do you need xrays for the roots? She didn't do xrays but the teeth weren't overgrown.I will look up entropian to see what that is. Are these issued that you have mentioned treatable and with normally good results?. As i be said he is 10, hates to be picked up and a vet visit is very traumatic. Thanks so much for responding!!

I think my kitten scratched my bunny's eye the other night. This morning I woke up and it was glossed over like it had Glaucoma , that opal looking color. Could that mean the cornea is scratched or maybe it's infected? The vet can't see him today and it's Friday. Any advice anything I can do in the interim? should I wipe it with warm water and a cloth? he lets me and look at it but I don't touch it.. he is a 4 month old Flemish Giant..
Get some eye wash from the drug store and flush his eye. You can also use artificial tears, but use the kind that come in single dose vials because they don't have preservatives. Be sure to take your bunny to the vet as soon as possible. If he gets worse while you are waiting for the vet, look for an emergency vet.

No she didn't use dye...so didn't check for ulcerated corneas. She did check her teeth but do you need xrays for the roots? She didn't do xrays but the teeth weren't overgrown.I will look up entropian to see what that is. Are these issued that you have mentioned treatable and with normally good results?. As i be said he is 10, hates to be picked up and a vet visit is very traumatic. Thanks so much for responding!!

If the problem started 6 months ago, I would think he would have stopped eating by now if the problem is his teeth. If your rabbit stops eating, he will need a dental as soon as possible. Since it is the weekend and you are not likely to see the vet again until next week, try cleaning up his area. Take away his litter and just use felt on the bottom or paper or something that won't stir up dust, because dust can cause eye problems. I use wood pellets, and that is what my rabbit had a problem with when he would dig in his litter box. I still use wood pellets for him, but there is a grate over the top of the litter box, preventing him from digging.

If your rabbit isn't better by Monday, maybe you can call the vet back or find a second opinion. As JBun pointed out, he did not get that thorough of an exam.

Sorry the medicine didn't work. Has his eyes improved at all?
No not really. At times he'll open his eye. I thought it was getting better. We did a couple of things like not leaving the vacuum in the room he's in and not vacuuming while he is up in case it is allergies. Last night it was really red again so I him the antibiotic drops again. Both are still runny. But like I said one is ok mostly. Thanks for asking!
How is your bun doing?

No not really. At times he'll open his eye. I thought it was getting better. We did a couple of things like not leaving the vacuum in the room he's in and not vacuuming while he is up in case it is allergies. Last night it was really red again so I him the antibiotic drops again. Both are still runny. But like I said one is ok mostly. Thanks for asking!
How is your bun doing?

Sorry that your bun isn't doing better. Have you tried rinsing his eyes with saline?

I used saline (for contact lenses) to rinse his eyes a few times and since then his eye looks a lot better. I think he did get some fur or debris stuck in his eyes because I could see white spots in his eyes that moved around.

Latest posts

Back