'Eye Horn' Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieTheRabbit

Reaction score
Last week my family welcomed the most beautiful miniature dwarf lop bunny into our house.

Shes been to the vet & had her vax. Shes not microchipped or fixed yet as shes only 8 weeks old.

She been a pleasure thus far (is currently testing her speed in the lounge room)

yesterday I notice a growth coming out of her tear duck, to the centre of her left eye, right where I assume her tear duct is. its getting longer and is quite hard. I gave her a bit of an eye exam and touched the 'horn' which didn't bother her/shes not in pain.

Ive searched the net but cant find any rabbit eye condition like this.

Have you heard of anything like this before? should I take her to the vet?

We live in Australia (if that matters?)

Thanks in advance.

May be a dumb question, but is it 'eye dust'? Clementine doesn't seem to be able to clear hers on her own, so I have to remove it for her.

It could be the tear duct got clogged up. One of my rabbits recently got an eye infection. In addition to using antibiotic drops, the vet told me to put hot packs on the eyes 3-4 times a day to keep the tear ducts from clogging up. It doesn't sound like your rabbit has an eye infection, but it could have a blocked tear duct and the "horn" you are seeing is the debris that is clogging it up. You could try the hot pack and see if it gets better, but if it doesn't, go see a vet. Here's the instructions my vet gave me: You need to use a clean wash cloth or similar rag each time you hot pack the eyes. Use a bucket of hot water to keep the cloth warm or you can re-heat it in the microwave. If you use the microwave, be very careful that you do not get the cloth too hot. Hot pack the eyes 3-4 times daily for 5 minutes each time. Continue for 3-5 days.

I normally wouldn't suggest advice for someone else that was given to me by my vet for a specific condition, but the hot pack seems harmless enough that it might be worth a try before you see a vet.

Latest posts

Back