Eye health

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
I think this is the forth time I’m posting today🌚
Haru is a Lionhead and the fur in her face is always covering one eye so I can’t really see it. She was sleeping today and I looked at her eyes, I know that when rabbits are sleeping their eyes can be half closed, but haru had one eye that was half closed and kind of looking down, and the other eye was open and it was straight, is that normal?also when she woke up I checked again, i can see the white part of her eye on one side, but not the other one, is that normal?it looks like her eyes aren’t the same size?my eyes aren’t the same too and I know that it’s fine but are rabbits the same?because a long time ago i saw a video of a guy talking about how would you know if a rabbits healthy or not before you get them, and he said that their eyes should be the same size.

Rabbits sleep with their eyes open, looking in whatever direction they please. The white part of her eye was probably just her third eyelid, no need to worry. I have never heard that about their eyes being different sizes. I think eye size would only matter for showing rabbits.

Rabbits sleep with their eyes open, looking in whatever direction they please. The white part of her eye was probably just her third eyelid, no need to worry. I have never heard that about their eyes being different sizes. I think eye size would only matter for showing rabbits.
No, by white part I mean the white part that you see in our eyes I don’t know what it’s called. It’s showing in one eye only. This is what it looks like alllll the time

Attachments

• A33E6BB4-4DBA-4A2E-AF4C-A15DCCC34BC3.jpeg
    A33E6BB4-4DBA-4A2E-AF4C-A15DCCC34BC3.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 4
I believe that is just the eye, it doesn't look like the third eyelid. I don't think there is anything to worry about but I want to see what @JBun thinks.

I think this is the forth time I’m posting today🌚
Haru is a Lionhead and the fur in her face is always covering one eye so I can’t really see it. it looks like her eyes aren’t the same size?my eyes aren’t the same too and I know that it’s fine but are rabbits the same?

We've been through a lot of problems with our little lionhead and this sounds like the start of our issues, without being pessimistic.
Lionheads have a very severe tendancy to dental problems, and if one eye is looking different, larger or more protruding, or one white lid more visible, it could be because their teeth roots are overgrowing inside the skull and pushing behind the eye.
We had to have all our lionhead's upper molars removed, and are now dealing with the recovery.
Please get the rabbit x-rayed, and have somebody look at the teeth. Also look out for milky tears, sticky fur around the eyes, and reluctance to eat or chew big bits of hay.

The good news is our lionhead is extremely tough and resilient. The bad news is that we've been dealing with this for about a year now and have spent thousands of euros on medical care and many many hours on care at home.

The best thing you can do now is get them checked out by a vet with experience with rabbit teeth!

We've been through a lot of problems with our little lionhead and this sounds like the start of our issues, without being pessimistic.
Lionheads have a very severe tendancy to dental problems, and if one eye is looking different, larger or more protruding, or one white lid more visible, it could be because their teeth roots are overgrowing inside the skull and pushing behind the eye.
We had to have all our lionhead's upper molars removed, and are now dealing with the recovery.
Please get the rabbit x-rayed, and have somebody look at the teeth. Also look out for milky tears, sticky fur around the eyes, and reluctance to eat or chew big bits of hay.

The good news is our lionhead is extremely tough and resilient. The bad news is that we've been dealing with this for about a year now and have spent thousands of euros on medical care and many many hours on care at home.

The best thing you can do now is get them checked out by a vet with experience with rabbit teeth!
Thank you for this! I started a thread which hasn't received a response because 1 of our little lions has matted fur in front of her left eye. Vet said to use an eye rinse (no dental issues thankfully) but when I went shopping for them I've no clue what to avoid or what is good. (Some contain boric acid which seems more harmful than helpful.) She doesn't act like it bothers her but bunnies are good at acting fine, right? If you have further advice/insight I'd appreciate it!

(Not to take away from Tatahas' issue: I've no idea but hope Haru is well.)

I took her to a vet before for something else and they said that she doesn’t have tooth problems, but they only checked her mouth. I’ll get her checked again as soon as I can go out. She has dry eye boogers, but I asked here before and they said its normal. Her appetite is good.

Latest posts

Back