Eye gunk?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
I really should just get my own whole site for all my rabbit problems, it seems I have many lately!

For about a month now I've noticed my two inside Hollands have had a tiny bit of gunk at the corner of both their eyes. I just cleaned it up usually and wasn't particularly concerned because it was only ever a tiny, tiny bit and no watery eyes or anything like that. But now I've noticed my outside lop is getting a little gunk in his eyes, as are some babies.

Also, I noticed today that Dragonfly had, I think, scratched the corner of one eye and it had been bleeding slightly. I went to look at it and pushed some fur out of the way and there was a patch of baldness near the front of her eye, about the size of a nickel.

Is there anything I can do at home or should I go to a vet?

snap wrote:
I really should just get my own whole site for all my rabbit problems, it seems I have many lately!

For about a month now I've noticed my two inside Hollands have had a tiny bit of gunk at the corner of both their eyes. I just cleaned it up usually and wasn't particularly concerned because it was only ever a tiny, tiny bit and no watery eyes or anything like that. But now I've noticed my outside lop is getting a little gunk in his eyes, as are some babies.

Also, I noticed today that Dragonfly had, I think, scratched the corner of one eye and it had been bleeding slightly. I went to look at it and pushed some fur out of the way and there was a patch of baldness near the front of her eye, about the size of a nickel.

Is there anything I can do at home or should I go to a vet?
howdy,,eye issues,well heres a link http://www.medirabbit.com this should help your baby,-trying to isolate issues can be mind boggling,,or a change in behavior is a reason for concern--a nasal culture couldhelp identifyany bacteria-that should not be there,,the bald spot in front of the eye ans the eye scratch is a concern,,antibiotic eye drops are generally used,,but i have used an ointment called terramycin(can be bought at a farm supply store.//.how are the poops.??-my website has info you could use,--sincerely james waller:big wink:

A little bit of eye gunk, like when you get "sleep" in your eyes, is normal and fine. It can indicate a clogged tear duct if there's a ton. A bit of the teramycin eye ointment may help.

The other bunny, with the bald spot near his eye, sounds like he has a real watery eye issue. Eye issues can be bacterial or mechanical. Mechanical issues like this sound like they could be related to tooth roots growing out of control. I would first use the teramycin to make sure it's not a bacterial infection of the tear duct. If that doesn't work, a vet needs to be seen, to assess for tooth root problems usually by x-ray.

Latest posts

Back