Extremely teary eyes - please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamsWarren

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have an 7-8 yo jersey wooley rabbit with the teariest eyes I think I’ve ever seen on a rabbit. About 3-4 weeks ago, her left eye was tearing, so we went to the vet. The vet flushed her tear duct (it was plugged), removed a smallish spur from one of her molars and prescribed some Torbrex eye drops. She looked great for about a week, then both eyes started to tear.

Back to the vet – both tear ducts were both plugged, so the vet flushed them both. This time, he put some antibiotic ointment into the ducts during the flush and gave me BNP eye ointment. A few days later, the eyes started to look worse than ever. Back to the vet – ducts were plugged again, so we did another duct flush. There were some signs of infection (small white dot on each of her lower eye lids – I can’t remember what the vet called them - and some redness on the lower lid). This time the vet gave me a script for chloramphenicol and a different type of eye drop.

It’s been almost 3 days - the eyes still show no sign of improvement and she’s not eating much now. She appears to constantly be swallowing something – perhaps the tears are draining into her mouth ?

We’re going back to the vet tomorrow. Last time I was there, he checked her teeth again, but didn’t find anything. And up until this AM, her appetite was very good (she loves her food!), so I don’t think that it is her teeth, either – or atleast not a spur. The vet thinks that the issue may be anatomical (she’s a typically wooley – very flat, cute little face), but I don’t think so because after the first duct flush, she looked great. Plus, the teariness didn’t didn’t start gradually - we went from somewhat teary to the worst teary eyes I’ve ever seen. The discharge from one of the eyes before the last flush was a bit milky in colour, but largely it is clear.

Please help if you can. I am trying my best to keep her eyes dry, but they are tearing so badly that I cannot possibly keep up. I am afraid that she will develop a secondary infection from the fur around her eyes being constantly wet.

Thanks.

Pam & Chia

Latest posts

Back