Extreme Heat Wave.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBun

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am in need of some ideas.. It is in the high 90's and will be up to a possible 115 tomorrow. This is very unusual for the NW of US and so if I am having a hard time I know is is too hot for my little girl. She is eating and drinking so I am sure she is ok but is there a way I can make something for her to cool down on. She is a chewer and destroys anything that is perishable so I need so ideas. Thank you for your help.

Hello!
During the heat wave where I am I put ice cubes in the water, sprayed her ears with cold water, kept her in a cool shaded place with the fans going. She typically stays in our bathroom cause the tiles are cool so any cool type of flooring (there are some cheap nice ones online) and I have read a lot of people just freeze water bottles so their bunny can lay against it. Hopefully some of these help!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I gave her ice cubes in a bowel and she really liked that and then I gave her a frozen water bottle. She licked it and played with it and then laid down beside it.
Thank you again as it is going to be a scorcher all week her in Oregon.

I recommend putting wet, rung out towels into the freezer till they stiffen (1/2 hr ish)
That's what I'm doing during this heat (I'm in BC)
You can freeze pop bottles and wrap for bun to lay against as well.

I recommend putting wet, rung out towels into the freezer till they stiffen (1/2 hr ish)
That's what I'm doing during this heat (I'm in BC)
You can freeze pop bottles and wrap for bun to lay against as well.
Thank you for your ideas. I am so glad that the nights are cooling down so we can open windows and get a breeze. Raine has done really well and seems to love a bowl of ice to lick and stick her nose into it.

I'm having trouble keeping them cool as they hate anything cold (water bottles, ice) and refuse to be near it. Went looking for a second fan last night but the whole city is sold out. Wish I had a bigger freezer for those towels!

Definitely some ceramic tiles to lay on if they want and you could even use a spray bottle to lightly mist over them when it’s really hot.

I'm having trouble keeping them cool as they hate anything cold (water bottles, ice) and refuse to be near it. Went looking for a second fan last night but the whole city is sold out. Wish I had a bigger freezer for those towels!

If they'll lay on tiles, there was a good idea in this thread about using a cold pack in a diy platform under a tile to keep it cool.

I bought these large, slim ice packs from Amazon that I freeze and put a towel over. They're large but very thin so they freeze very quickly and take up almost no space in your freezer. Honestly, my bunny doesn't seem to want to lie on them, but it makes me feel better that she has the option. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHS1X8S

Last edited:
You can find Sunblock Shade Cloth on Amazon. They are mesh tarps made for dog kennels. They work great for putting up shade. A regular tarp can heat up and hold the heat in, but these breath because they are mesh. If the sun hits the top of the cage, you can get a piece of styrofoam insulation and put it on the roof to keep the heat out. You can put something heavy on it to to hold it down.

Latest posts

Back