Extreamly tiny kit/not latching?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCnRabbits

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m a bit concerned.
My beautiful girl just gave birth to 5 live kits, and 4 of them are fat and healthy. Quite big too. Then there’s what I assume to be the runt, no bigger then someone’s thumb. S/he was super skinny when I pulled them out of the nest this morning to inspect them, (My doe gave birth around 9:00pm and I didn’t want to disturb them too much last night) pull out any dead kits and check their stomachs. The Charlie was quite skinny so I tried to help it latch onto my does teat which I have done successfully with her past litters. S/he won’t latch on. Is there anything I can do to help this kit before it’s too late? I wouldn’t think it’d lack that instinct to latch. I just don’t want to give up on this sweet little thing.

What breed are the rabbits? Are you sure it’s a runt and not a peanut? Without the ability to suck it’s best to let nature take its course since it most likely has other health problems.

The doe is a Mini Rex, although she is too large for show. I’m almost positive it’s not a peanut, but I guess I can’t be sure. I’ve tried several times now and it’s becoming clear I won’t be able to get it to eat.
Guess that’s nature for you :( Thank you for the response nonetheless.

Yeah. it`s always hard to see a little one struggle, one gets so easily attached to them :(. I was very lucky the first years regarding surviving kits, no losses the first 2 years, but now that my does get older (oldest about 7yo) reality catches up.

Can't be a peanut if not both parents are true dwarfs.

That’s part of breeding, unfortunately. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions if you want a healthy herd. Preitlier, we weren’t quite as lucky early on.

Thank you everyone for the responses, it means a lot. Sadly the kit died during the night.
Thank you all again nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back