Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasperelconejo

Reaction score
Hey there!

I actually just came across these forums looking for information on this and I figured I would make a post myself to try and gain some insight or personal advice.

I have a Netherland dwarf who is 7 years old, I got him at 11mo old from a family and they gave him away because he had “one testicle” my impression was they were breeding rabbits or showing rabbits and he did not fit. I didn’t think it would be an issue because I had not known about cryptorchid or monorchism before. I took him to a vet when he was young and they told me that he was healthy and his testicle was good for now but to keep an eye out for it because it could cause some issues along the way.

Up until 2-3 months ago, his “ball” hasn’t been noticeable and wasn’t an issue. Recently I noticed a difference in size and weight, his ball is now hanging and large. The swelling went down a little but it is definitely inflamed. :-( I went to the vet two days ago to have it checked out and examined after reading about possible cancer and tumor implications.

She told me that it is most likely a tumor or blockage in the testicle. She was unable to tell if there was another testicle and said there was no sack there. She mentioned that some male bunnies that are together rip or kick off other male rabbits testicles for competition. I knew he was with other rabbits but not sure if this happened and there’s no physical signs. She said we should follow through with castration and should get surgery to find out if there is another testicle inside or not.

I think that is my biggest fear, I am definitely wanting to castrate the testicle because I do not want him to be in any pain or have health issues later on. But he is 7 years old, and because he is older I fear of the risk of complications. She did warn me that with older bunnies the risk is higher and I really want to lower it as much as I can. I love this bunny so much & he has been so important to my life! I am scared about the cryptorchid surgery but I have read that it is similar as a spay operation because they have to go through the abdominal. Most of the neutering reviews and experiences are when rabbits are young, and I haven’t found much on cryptorchid surgery especially on an older bunny. Please let me know if anyone has this experience or related.

Ultimately I want what is best for him and his health. He has been happier than ever, eating more than ever and trying different veggies, he’s been so loving and binkies and dancing all night, and lots of kisses. It hasn’t affected his mood or appetite or energy so I really want to make sure that if I go through with the invasive surgery it is necessary. I read that I can request an ultrasound or X-ray but the vet told me it’s not a guarantee to see. I also read that for older bunnies a blood test is a good idea to see if they will be compatible with the anesthesia which is my biggest worry. He is very docile, mild tempered, and shy even. So I worry about him & his heart.

Also I found a vet from larabbits.org in Orange County that has been treating rabbits and seemed confident but very blunt especially about the complications in which I started to get paranoid. :-( I will be asking them more questions before proceeding but I wanted to ask on here prior. Thank you! 🧡

Attachments

• A9641CBF-6631-4F04-A58E-9D0F8C3FAC40.jpeg
    A9641CBF-6631-4F04-A58E-9D0F8C3FAC40.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 5
I would call a few local rescues and ask if the vet they use is knowledgeable on a cryptorchid neuter. A vet well acquainted with a rescue will have the most experience neutering older buns or those with possible complications, likely more so than a vet that only works outside of a rescue, who likely neuters mostly younger rabbits! Good luck and I hope that helps... I know California has quite a few fantastic rescues, as well as a very busy House Rabbit Society that may also have recommendations!

I would call a few local rescues and ask if the vet they use is knowledgeable on a cryptorchid neuter. A vet well acquainted with a rescue will have the most experience neutering older buns or those with possible complications, likely more so than a vet that only works outside of a rescue, who likely neuters mostly younger rabbits! Good luck and I hope that helps... I know California has quite a few fantastic rescues, as well as a very busy House Rabbit Society that may also have recommendations!

Thank you so much! I’m gonna do some calling in the morning and I will look into rescues! I never thought about that so that is a great tip. I am worried firstly about neutering an older bunny and also having such an invasive surgery. I appreciate the help!

Thank you so much! I’m gonna do some calling in the morning and I will look into rescues! I never thought about that so that is a great tip. I am worried firstly about neutering an older bunny and also having such an invasive surgery. I appreciate the help!
Sure thing! It also never hurts to research drugs that are safe anesthetics for rabbits and ask some questions when you have a vet you feel comfortable about! I was so worried for Willa's spay and having an understanding of the drugs used and their effects gave me some piece of mind!

Latest posts

Back