Excess Cecals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldamar

Reaction score
I have a new rabbit in the house - a youngin to keep my other rabbit company. While playing in the kitchen today, I noticed she was dropping cecals all over the place.

Mind you, until now I've actually never known what one looked like - my two year old cottontail has never had troubles with her GI, and has never left any "extras". That said, I'm a little alarmed at how many there were in a short time. I would have to say that, in an hour long period, no fewer than 7 of these little clusters of joy were passed. Rabbit is outwardly happy, playful, etc., and I'm reducing pellets / removing treats & no veggies for time being.

She's in a new environment, so maybe the extra cecals are a result of dietary adjustment...? Anyway, I just wanted folks' opinions on whether I should be particularly concerned.

Thanks heaps, and best wishes,

- Al

When I brought my two bunnies home, when they were younger, they both had a habit of leaving cecals around. I attributed it to some combination of diet and being young, since they both seemed happy and healthy otherwise. Sometimes they'd actually go back and eat them later.

It could be that her diet is a bit rich, or it might just be due to her age, and she'll grow out of it. Maybe reduce her pellets to see if it makes a difference, but otherwise I probably wouldn't stress too much as long as she seems healthy otherwise. :)

I agree with Pani.
I've found that young bunnies, and bunnies in a new environment are more likely to have excess cecals.
It's most likely due to a change in diet and environment.
I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it continues. :)

How convenient that this is a topic that was started today, because I am KIND OF having the same issue & would love some advice. In my introduction thread I posted about how I rehomed my two other bunnies due to stress and being very overwhelmed, and completely regretting my decision. So now it's been prob. about 6+ months and I decided to get a new bun. This is a bun from a crazy woman rabbitry (which I am thinking about calling the ASPCA on) and she sold him to me when he was only 7weeks old. :| I didn't really realize that until I did the math after I already got him, but I do not think that would've made much of a difference to the woman, she would've just sold him to someone else.

Needless to say, my bun is on this Nutrena Nature Wise, Performance Rabbit feed 18% pellet, and hay. The food is the food she was feeding him all along and made me buy half a bag of, so I wanted to finish it off then switch to oxbow young adult food, well.. he's leaving extra cecals and on a facebook group called 'bunny talk' they have me all concerned saying I basically need to rush him to the vet. Any way you could give me some advice/your feel on this? He's acting normal, hopping around and stuff. I have only had him since this past tuesday, so I haven't even started introducing him to anything, no new food, maybe a different type of hay.. and no treats, veggies, fruits, nothing.

I'd cut down on pellet a little with both and push more hay. We have some that never eat the ceccals and others that never leave any behind. The only reeal problem we've had is when some get a loose stool--with one, she gets no pellets and a lesser amount of veggies and two other get a smaller amount of veggies. Just have to work at it a little and see what works with your bun.

Jerry-Bun...sorry I have no advice to offer on leaving cecals/extra cecals. However, you should not quickly switch a bun from one type of pellet to another. Do not wait until your bun is out of it's current food and feed it another. Instead you should buy the pellets you want to feed before you run out of the old pellets. Start out adding a few of the new pellets to the old pellets when you feed your bun. Slowly over time add more of the new and less of the old until the bun is only eating the new pellets. This will avoid stomach upset and possible GI stasis.

Jerry-Bun...sorry I have no advice to offer on leaving cecals/extra cecals. However, you should not quickly switch a bun from one type of pellet to another. Do not wait until your bun is out of it's current food and feed it another. Instead you should buy the pellets you want to feed before you run out of the old pellets. Start out adding a few of the new pellets to the old pellets when you feed your bun. Slowly over time add more of the new and less of the old until the bun is only eating the new pellets. This will avoid stomach upset and possible GI stasis.

Yes, I know that, thank you so much for your advice, I guess I should've been a little more clear about it. I actually already have a bag of food that I was going to be switching him over to, BUT then the woman made me buy a huge bag of the food she feeds, so I figured I'd finish that off before starting on oxbow young rabbit. Instead of wasting the $15 I spent on the food bag she made me buy. At the end of that bag is when I am going to do a gradual change of food.

Latest posts

Back