Example of why stricter laws are being pushed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost Jewel Rabbitry wrote:
Here's the sheltering from the sun/rain/etc. a huge roof. Most of our yard is fenced, and we have never had a problem with "predators"

Well, can't incorporate putting any cages outside, because my barn doesn't have a huge roof like that. We also have coyotes and bears. :(

Just some curious questions here...when it rains does it splash mud on the rabbits? What about ants/rodents getting into their feed or onto the buns themselves? One thing that I noticed was the 1"x2" floor which probably isn't comfortable on their little hocks. Coyotes, dogs, and other predictors would be a concern for me too...or even snakes coming into the cage to eat the kits. I'm just thinking out-loud here, not trying to start anything. She is a gorgeous bunny!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally would never let my rabbits be straight on the dirt, ESPECIALLY a doe that is just kindling. My Tans are sometimes not too reliable about being 100% on using nestboxes and I wouldn't want a kit to be born right there on the dirt and feces.

We also have quite a few coyotes and bears, not to mention a few stray cats and raccoons. I'd be terrified that something would get to them.

DharmaBuns wrote:
I wouldn't want a kit to be born right there on the dirt and feces.

I knew for a fact that it was going to be dead anyways, so I didn't care where it was born, as long as she was able to get it out of her body safely.

She kindled her 2 live kits in the nestbox with me sitting there watching to make sure she was alright

To each his own, I guess. I prefer my rabbits cages to be off the ground, even if it's just to put a brick under each corner of the cage. I agree with 4kr that the floor grid is not the best spacing for a dwarf breed. I noticed that the other cages have the small grid spacing/baby saver wire.

At this point I think all sides have been stated. I can see where the wendymac is coming from and I can also see where Lost Jewel Rabbitry is confident in how she runs her rabbitry. While some may see it as wrong, or not the way they would do something doesn't make them right. Not saying it makes them wrong either.I can see it isn't long nails in the first picture, to me I was thinking fur even before I continued reading. The rabbits,look clean, and healthy. Maybe the set-up is not to some peoples standards but these are not our rabbits, this is not our rabbitry.

Something I used to myself and friends on here. You don't have to have the answer to everything. Your way is not the only way. We are not the bunny police. We are here to help ALL bunnies (sometimes other animals) no matter the circumstances. We are working at making this forum a learning tool for all bunny owners and possibly even a tool to use to find new and interesting ways to better the lives of an animal we all hold dear.

Lost Jewel I ask that you please stick around, post an intro let us know about you and your rabbits. We love seeing cute rabbits. You have two of my fave breeds!

Forum Decorum <--- for the rules. :big wink:

Actually, I owe Lost Jewel an apology. I've been having trouble with Verizon (frequent disconnects, random upload times where I can actually upload anything, etc) and I apparently saved the image and uploaded it. I have removed it from my gallery. I could have sworn I copied the url, but I didn't.

I apologize, Lost Jewel! In case you don't check this thread again, I've also sent an apology via PM.

The image is not that special. Just a doe straining in a corner of a cage that's on the ground.

Hailey, you know I enjoy you and consider you an acquaintance, I'm sorry to see you selling out of NDs, Tina and I had planned on bringing some stock up to you in the fall. (Actually, had you made up your mind on a color, we would have sent you home with a new buck from WA con, but we couldn't tell if you had really made up your mind or not! lol)

I do not mind cages being housed outside. I highly recommend replacing your floor wire, 1x2 is simply far too large. I'm surprised you haven't had a broken leg from it, I know I probably would have by now. 1/2 x 1 is a comfortable size. 1/2 by 1/2, or a few EZ matts in the cage will help if you end up getting into mini rex.

I also agree with the brick idea, but it's your rabbitry, have it how you want it. :)

Ever have any questions or need to talk, I'm only a text or FB message away. I still have your number, don't know if you still have mine!

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
The image is not that special. Just a doe straining in a corner of a cage that's on the ground.

Hailey, you know I enjoy you and consider you an acquaintance, I'm sorry to see you selling out of NDs, Tina and I had planned on bringing some stock up to you in the fall. (Actually, had you made up your mind on a color, we would have sent you home with a new buck from WA con, but we couldn't tell if you had really made up your mind or not! lol)

I do not mind cages being housed outside. I highly recommend replacing your floor wire, 1x2 is simply far too large. I'm surprised you haven't had a broken leg from it, I know I probably would have by now. 1/2 x 1 is a comfortable size. 1/2 by 1/2, or a few EZ matts in the cage will help if you end up getting into mini rex.

I also agree with the brick idea, but it's your rabbitry, have it how you want it. :)

Ever have any questions or need to talk, I'm only a text or FB message away. I still have your number, don't know if you still have mine!

Thank you Megan, that means a lot. You definitely should have asked, I wanted some sort of shaded color in ND either way! :)
I'm really sad to see my ND's go, but like you and Tina suggested, it would be easier to just concentrate on one breed, and like the crazy person I am, I can not choose between either Lions or Netherlands, so I'm selling out of them both and switching to a different favorite breed. Once I graduate and move out, I UNDOUBTEDLY will be getting back into Netherlands, and I'll definitely go to you and Tina for help, and for stock.

Since nobody has noticed on facebook ( :wink ) we're building new wire cages pretty soon, and selling all our current cages (8 wire holes, 11 plastic bottom). I'm going for 24 x 24 or a bit bigger, and getting the baby save wire and everything special to help keep my bunnies comfortable. I agree that the flooring on one of the 3-holes is way too huge and terrible, I only use 2 holes, and both holes have huge wood slabs for the rabbits to sit on instead of being on the wire. I guess that's one positive about having it on the ground, their feet don't hang down or get hurt, because they just hit solid ground. Given that the cages are cleaned under every other day (poop raked out), and moved to different areas every week, so they have fresh grass under their feet.
As for outside cages for winter, everyone was indoors for the winter, and everyone will be indoors for winter again, inside a heated building

i do not understand that the fuss is all about.

Folks keep their rabbits in different ways and as long as the rabbit is healthy it doesn't matter.
If cage wire spacing is large and the buns are on flat ground so much the better...means they can actually eat the grass that's under their feet. Not like they can hurt themselves since the cage is flat on the ground.

A rabbit dealing with a stuck kit merely needs to get it OUT of her body... doesn't much matter where she gets it out. As long as she does her best that's what matters. And buns make some interesting errors in judgement. Just keep 'em relatively clean and do your best by them. Creating more laws and rules by which everyone MUST keep their rabbits is just asking for trouble down the road and reduces the flexibility people have in how to care for their stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back