Example of why stricter laws are being pushed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no clue. Increase the chances of getting coccidia though being so close to the dirt like that

No kidding. When I was assembling cage parts I was short a tray for the one cage TSC NEVER seems to buy the same amount of cages and trays!) so I took 4 small bricks and placed them on their sides...and then put each corner on the edge of the brick. That way their urine and fecal matter went onto the floor and they weren't standing in it. Very unsanitary, for sure!

wendymac wrote:
Okay, why would you set them directly on a dirt floor? No wonder she has fecal matter in the actual cage...nowhere else for it to go. Yuck!!

She's in an outdoor cage currently, because it's summer time. There is actually space from the cage to the ground, and underneath the cage gets cleaned twice a week, so their poop doesn't build up. We also MOVE the wire cage to grassy areas consistently so they have fresh area to sit on

wendymac wrote:
Okay, someone just posted this picture of their doe. It's currently in labor, with apparently a stuck kit. What alarms me is the drop tray. It's completely filled and coming up through the bottom of the cage. THIS is why ARAs are pushing for inspections for ALL rabbitries. It's not difficult to keep drop trays clean, so why is this rabbit practically standing in her own waste???

And, just as alarming, she had 1 kit so far, on the wire. The owner put it in the nest box. The wire is filthy, and a newborn was touching the floor of this cage and then stuck into a clean nest box? Wow....

Anyway, this is why I'm torn on this new law. If everyone kept their trays dumped (and other common, basic animal care practices) then ARA wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

If someone were to turn her rabbitry in, and her rabbits were taken, the "excuse" would be that she was being targeted and all charges were made up.

Anyway, off my soapbox. You can see for yourselves and come to your own conclusions. Maybe I'm just being too particular and this is the norm.

16069_151146_520000000.jpg

Firt of all, it's an outdoor cage just above ground, we don't use drop trays if the rabbit is OUTSIDE.
Second, don't lie and make up ****. She kindled TWO LIVE kits in the NESTBOX, and kindled 2 DEAD ones out of the nestbox, of course I desposed of the dead ones, and the live ones are FINE.

wendymac wrote:
It was posted on Members of ARBA's page. And the picture is no longer there, or any of the posts. I'm hoping it's not because it was someone on this forum. I can't even remember the name of the person that posted it. :(

When I look at it really closely, it appears as if some sort of grass/weed has actually started growing. Which make sense, because it would take a tiny rabbit a VERY long time to fill up a drop tray. Poor bun... :(

OMG. Grass and weeds grow OUTSIDE because the rabbit was ON THE GROUND!!!!

Shame on you Wendymac!!! Ignorance like TAKING someone ELSE'S picture and posting LIES and or about something YOU DON'T know is what gets us in trouble!!! I can CLEARLY see this rabbit is clean and that her nails aren't long! That's her fur! o_O Shame! Shame on you! I know you on FB and will make sure you are NOT accepted into my rabbit group! I don't need liers in there causing problems where there aren't any! :mad:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but it still looks dirty to me. But I never let my rabbits touch the ground for fear of them picking up something nasty. :dunno

As for the new laws, I hope it targets back yard breeders, but unfortunately they probably will not pay any attention. It might give animal welfare more ammunition to go after them though.

I dont understand why I was quoted and then the reply had nothing to do with what I said. I didnt say anything about the nails. To me, the cage is dirty and could use some work. Why get so defensive if you think you are doing nothing wrong? and next time you quote somebody, make sure you are quoting the right person

Posting lies? I posted what SHE posted on the FB page. When she posted this, she said that one was born on the wire and she was straining like she had one stuck. While you see a clean cage, most of us see a rabbit standing in fecal matter. Period. What part of that was a lie?

TRKHoppyHomesteadRabbitry wrote:
Shame on you Wendymac!!! Ignorance like TAKING someone ELSE'S picture and posting LIES and or about something YOU DON'T know is what gets us in trouble!!! I can CLEARLY see this rabbit is clean and that her nails aren't long! That's her fur! o_O Shame! Shame on you! I know you on FB and will make sure you are NOT accepted into my rabbit group! I don't need liers in there causing problems where there aren't any! :mad:

OMG! I can't join yet another rabbit page on FB? Whatever will I do? *voice dripping sarcasm here*

And I didn't steal the picture...to insert pictures, you copy the image url (in this case, FB storage). And I also said who the picture belongs to. I certainly didn't claim it as my own!

Which part, in particular, is a lie? The fecal matter? The weeds? The unsanitary conditions (and no, dirt is NOT sanitary)?

wendymac wrote:
Posting lies? I posted what SHE posted on the FB page. When she posted this, she said that one was born on the wire and she was straining like she had one stuck. While you see a clean cage, most of us see a rabbit standing in fecal matter. Period. What part of that was a lie?

No I did not say she kindled one on the wire then said she was straining. She kindled TWO in the nestbox, and was sitting there looking like she had a stuck, THEN she kindled a stuck kit later on

wendymac wrote:
TRKHoppyHomesteadRabbitry wrote:

OMG! I can't join yet another rabbit page on FB? Whatever will I do? *voice dripping sarcasm here*

And I didn't steal the picture...to insert pictures, you copy the image url (in this case, FB storage). And I also said who the picture belongs to. I certainly didn't claim it as my own!

Which part, in particular, is a lie? The fecal matter? The weeds? The unsanitary conditions (and no, dirt is NOT sanitary)?

Dirt is part of nature, dirt is fine. I played in the dirt and mud as a child, and I'm perfectly fine. Rabbits in the wild build their dens in the dirt, they're fine.

Also, taking a picture without permission from the owner is stealing it

Too many quotes in that post to actually quote it, but here:

"Dirt is part of nature, dirt is fine. I played in the dirt and mud as a child, and I'm perfectly fine. Rabbits in the wild build their dens in the dirt, they're fine.

Also, taking a picture without permission from the owner is stealing it"

Dirt may be a part of nature, but it's definitely not free of bacteria/disease/parasites. Rabbits in the wild don't have a very good survival rate, either. And they are carriers of bacteria/disease/parasites, which is why everything on the internet states not to put a wild bunny in with any of your herd.

I didn't take anything. I shared what you freely posted on an OPEN forum. If it was off of your website you would hold the copyright to it, and that would be stealing. Taking it and claiming it as my own would be stealing it.

Anyway, it would be great if you could answer some of the questions. I know I'm always curious to see what works/doesn't work, and take bits and pieces and change things that I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back