Example of why stricter laws are being pushed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendymac

Reaction score
Okay, someone just posted this picture of their doe. It's currently in labor, with apparently a stuck kit. What alarms me is the drop tray. It's completely filled and coming up through the bottom of the cage. THIS is why ARAs are pushing for inspections for ALL rabbitries. It's not difficult to keep drop trays clean, so why is this rabbit practically standing in her own waste???

And, just as alarming, she had 1 kit so far, on the wire. The owner put it in the nest box. The wire is filthy, and a newborn was touching the floor of this cage and then stuck into a clean nest box? Wow....

Anyway, this is why I'm torn on this new law. If everyone kept their trays dumped (and other common, basic animal care practices) then ARA wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

If someone were to turn her rabbitry in, and her rabbits were taken, the "excuse" would be that she was being targeted and all charges were made up.

Anyway, off my soapbox. You can see for yourselves and come to your own conclusions. Maybe I'm just being too particular and this is the norm.

16069_151146_520000000.jpg

It was posted on Members of ARBA's page. And the picture is no longer there, or any of the posts. I'm hoping it's not because it was someone on this forum. I can't even remember the name of the person that posted it. :(

When I look at it really closely, it appears as if some sort of grass/weed has actually started growing. Which make sense, because it would take a tiny rabbit a VERY long time to fill up a drop tray. Poor bun... :(

Yes, it's intentional. They said it was her second litter, and delivered one kit but nothing else after...that she was just sitting in the corner, straining, like she has a kit stuck.

Poor bun. That is ridiculously dirty! I am all for stricter laws but i am against being forced to pay a huge licensing fee and allowing people to come to my home.

Same here, Lyndsey. But it's people like the one above that cause the problems. I finally found the post, and it's from Lost-Jewel Rabbitry in Canada. Anyone heard of them before??

I come from a long line of animal caretakers. It was instilled in me, from day one, that animals get taken care of before yourself. Animals are all fed before you get breakfast/lunch/supper...along with other basic needs. Heck, even at a horse show I was always told the horse first, then you. So I'd come out of a class dying from the heat...and still make sure my horse had water, his saddle loosened/removed (depending on when the next class was), full hay bag, etc...and THEN I could grab a drink and relax in the shade. I've instilled those same values into my kids, too.

But when breeders keep animals in conditions like this, it puts all of us under the microscope. How do conditions like this end, if not for inspections/pop visits??

Oh wow...I saw this on that page as well.

Honestly, there's no excuse for a cage like that. There's someone in my state that constantly posts pictures of his rabbits in horrendous conditions. I have no idea how they think it is OKAY to house their rabbits like that.

Obviously, I think that the majority of people take great care of their rabbits but the bad apples always tend to stand out and that's what the ARA's use as media fodder.

I know...it's sad! It's the bad apples that ruin things for everyone. I just can't believe they posted this picture and nobody has said anything. It's taking everything I have not to post something, "It wouldn't hurt to dump and clean that drop tray". :(

I respect a lot of the breeders here on the forum who have good practices. I edited the title of the petition post as the OP was unable to and I understand the need for good breeding programs.
But I did not sign the petition myself because I am hoping it will put the "bunny mills" out of business. The day I got Fraggles her "breeder" had over 100 rabbits in outdoor hutches. When I walked threw this maze of hutches I noticed almost every water bottle was bone dry and it was explained to me that you can keep bunnies in "hutches for years and you never have to let them out" She had the age of each animal posted on each hutch. 3 years old, 5 years old, 7 years old ect...That is how many years those bunnies had lived in those hutches. Thats were Fraggles came from. I have a hard time supporting breeders.

AHHHHHHHH I know this person. They are on Rabbit Addict! This is sad and I never would have expected it from them. . .

Katie, it isn't going to stop the "bunny mills". They'll continue to breed and slide through under the radar. What it will do is hurt the responsible ones. :(

I can't stand it when a well-known breeder has problems and gets their animals taken. The last case that made the show bunny list was some Bell woman. I don't know her, but she apparently was a judge and breeder. The pictures posted were horrible. I don't care if it was only 15 out of 100 rabbits...NONE should have been let go like that. Filthy water crocks, no food/hay, and drop pans even worse than the one above. Her rabbits were nothing but a big, huge matted mess...standing in fecal matter piled really high in their cages, water crocks either completely empty or with a bit of dirty water and fecal matter in them. Absolutely disgusting.

Sarah, that stinks. I don't know this person, but couldn't believe she posted that picture. I'm still waiting, but nobody else has said anything. If nothing is posted in a few hours, I'm going to say something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back