Ew mites!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selbert

Reaction score
Even though I'm incredibly careful with the cleanliness of my rabbits enclosure (and mine!) my poor buns have mites :( I suppose it's just one of those things that you can never fully prevent!

They live in our bedroom, one in a cage, one free roam (until neutered)
I've washed all the blankets on a boil wash, fully cleaned the room, hoovered and even scrubbed the carpet with animal safe disinfectant.

Is there anything else I can be doing? How often should I be boil washing their blankets?

Can these mites live off me? Do I need to be treated? I realise I should have asked all these questions at the vets, but my little girl had been put under (during which they found the mites) so I was trying to get her home and chilled as soon as possible!

Does anyone know a ball park answer to how long, on average, it will take for my buns to recover?

I really don't know the exact answers, since I don't know the mite type... bird mites and rodent mites will affect humans and non-preferred animals if their host of choice isn't available; C. parasitivorax (rabbit fur mites) can be transferred to people but are NOT able to complete their life-cycle away from rabbits. Rabbit fur mites are the most common but would have to be transmitted through another rabbit or items that were exposed to an infected rabbit.

What was done to treat the vet? Selamectin is the preferred treatment for rabbits; fipronil and permethrin can be FATAL to bunnies and should never be used. Selamectin is known as Revolution or Advantage in the states; it's a once-monthly medication given to dogs and cats for flea and tick prevention (and is also effective against mites). Rabbits have a faster metabolism and need to be re-dosed more often, though I don't remember exactly how often (either 2 or 3 weeks, I think). Two treatments are typically needed to get rid of fur mites, which have a three week life-cycle. This thread has some information on dosing. Ivermectin can also be used, though I believe it's not safe for a specific breed or two (REW might be one, I'm not sure). If you have a choice, though, selamectin is better.

I'm really tired, so I didn't poke around too much, but these two sites look like good places to start:
http://www.critters360.com/index.php/treatment-for-fur-mites-in-rabbits-21479/
http://animals.pawnation.com/bunny-fur-mites-contagious-humans-2645.html

You don't actually have to boil their bedding - washing on hot and/or drying on high heat (letting the dryer run for around 20 minutes beyond the time it takes for them to dry fully) is enough to kill mites.

You shouldn't need more than 2 doses of Revolution to get rid of them, except maybe if it's a heavy infestation. Ivermectin is good also but shouldn't be used in ruby-eyed whites or in Dutch rabbits. It's important to treat again in 2 weeks so you can kill any that hatch from the eggs the mites laid. Mites might be able to get on you but like Jennifer said, they won't stay.

Did the vet say what kind of mites they were? Did they treat the rabbits? What with? As for how long it will take the rabbits to recover, it sounds like you weren't seeing any signs. Usually 1-2 doses of Revolution is enough to eliminate the mites.

There are some kinds of mites (Sarcoptes scabeii for example) that are zoonotic but the rabbit ear mite (Psoroptes cuniculi) is species-specific. If you start to notice lesions on yourself, you'll need to consult a human physician.

Sorry I really should have specified, it's fur mites. Which I often check for, whilst grooming, but the vet only saw them through the micro-scope.
I've been given pipettes of, well it just says Xeno 450 Spot on tube. I apply one per bunny per week for six weeks!
I'll be going to my parents house for the holidays tonight so their environment will be totally mite free. I'll be bring them back up in the new year, if there are any mites in the room still do you think they will be dead? OR would they be waiting with vengeance?

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't still be alive in the environment 2-3 weeks later if there were no rabbits around, but I'm not certain so you should probably double-check that. Keep in mind that, while the environment would be mite-free when you got to your parents' house, it wouldn't necessarily STAY that way! You'll still need to disinfect the rabbits' stuff/wash and dry their bedding on hot regularly (at least once a week, I believe) to ensure that they don't get reinfected by their own mites.

Oh that's relieving, I'll double check with the vet today! Yeah I've been washing their blankets everyday, even the ones that they don't use. I want these mites out! I feel so bad for the buns!
Just found out that mites can cause asthma, something that triggered in my boy friend when we adopted Dope. So I'm certain that Dope had the mites from the previous home I rescued him from.
Thank you all for your help and advice! I do tend to panic!

I'm glad you were able to figure out the original cause of the mites (and that it's something you know they won't be re-exposed to)! A mild case of mites can go untreated for quite a while before it becomes bad enough to be noticeable.

I really don't think you need to wash bedding every single day; the mites prefer to remain on their host anyway and they'll be killed when they try to get on the rabbits while they're being treated with ivermectin. I would recommend washing/disinfecting their bedding and cage areas once a week and doing it on the same day you give the ivermectin. The main concern with their environment isn't actually mites but rather their eggs, which can take a while to hatch and could therefore reinfect the rabbits after the course of ivermectin has been completed.

Also, high humidity is more conducive to mites - humidity levels below 50% drastically decrease mite activity. If you happen to own a dehumidifier, I would use it in the rabbits' room (making sure they can't chew the cord, knock it over, etc.)... if you don't, then just put them in a room where they're not close to sources of extra humidity (ie kitchen, laundry room, bath/shower rooms). As handy as a dehumidifier can be, it's definitely not necessary to rush out and buy one (especially with how pricey they can be - good ones are around $200-300 in the US)!

There is nothing wrong with washing stuff daily. any eggs or larva on bedding wont have a chance then to hatch later and hop on a bun. Ivermectin doesnt stay in the system as long as selamectin so better to clean daily especially with her bf, then not often enough.
And again when coming home after those weeks.

Pests like fleas can actually have eggs lay dormant in carpet of abandoned houses for months. New owners move in, vibrations of their movement trigger hatching, and start a new infestation.

Better safe then sorry.

There is nothing wrong with washing stuff daily. any eggs or larva on bedding wont have a chance then to hatch later and hop on a bun. Ivermectin doesnt stay in the system as long as selamectin so better to clean daily especially with her bf, then not often enough.

Ah, true... I didn't even think about the differences between ivermectin and selamectin, as I'm not very familiar with ivermectin. I guess I was just imagining what an ordeal it could be to treat and clean everything every single day. While I'm not necessarily convinced that daily cleaning is necessary, I definitely agree 100% that daily is better than not often enough!

Ah **** I had a feeling they might lay dormant! I'm planning on getting the carpets and curtains cleaned for when we get back so fingers crossed we won't see any more mites!
As far as the humidity goes, they're in one of the cooler rooms of the house. Unfortunately no dehumidifier but I don't think that will be a problem.
The instructions on the ivermectin says: 1 pipette per 1.5 kg, x2 pipettes every two weeks. I read this wrong and only used 1! Would this be an issue? They're less than 6 months old, one weighing 1.7 and the other 1.8. I've only just realised this today when arriving at my parents house so I'll call the vet in the morning.
Thanks again guys for all the advice! I just want these pests gone!

ARGH it looks like they're back! I can't tell for certain, but her fur is ruffled like she's been scratching. I'm thinking maybe I should have put two pipettes instead of one! I didn't get chance to call the vet (sister's wedding stuff) and now it will be emergency only. What to do what to do! Help!

There are three potential options, but I don't know if either of the first two is actually medically advisable...
~ put the second one on now, then apply the next dose (of 2) as scheduled
~ put the second one on now but delay or stagger the next dose of 2 so that there aren't three "active" at once
The third option is the safest one unless you can talk to your vet or someone else can offer more knowledgeable advice than me:
~ DON'T apply the second one, apply the next dose (of 2) as scheduled and the third dose of (2) as scheduled, then - before the third dose wears off - talk to your vet and find out from them if you'll need to do a fourth dose to make up for messing up the first.

I certainly like the sound of the last option, especially after hearing how some rabbits can over dose on this stuff :/ (the internet is great when you're panicked)

I think I'll go with that one, thank you once again Imbrium! Oh I do get myself in a fuss!

I really do wish the information on the internet was much clearer, most websites contradict each other! Glad to have this forum :)

I'm not very familiar with using ivermectin topically so I can't comment on what levels would be toxic, etc. What country are you in, I hadn't heard of the product you're using.

The last option is the better one. I know ivermectin can be given topically...we opted to give it orally and it cleared up after two doses, given 2 weeks apart. Only one rabbit required a third dose but we opted to give all a third dose since they're all next to each other. Had no reactions, but dosing correctly is key.

I certainly like the sound of the last option, especially after hearing how some rabbits can over dose on this stuff :/ (the internet is great when you're panicked)

I think I'll go with that one, thank you once again Imbrium! Oh I do get myself in a fuss!

I really do wish the information on the internet was much clearer, most websites contradict each other! Glad to have this forum :)

Yeah, the last option I offered definitely strikes me as the safest - no risk of overdosing or underdosing on subsequent doses that way. Just remember to talk to the vet at some point in the next month to see if you'll need to do an additional dose to make up for only giving half of the first one.

I phoned today and he said the choice I made was great and I can pop in anytime to pick up the fourth dose, just to be safe :)
Thank you so much for the help, the reassurance was needed!

Latest posts

Back