Every way to get rid of sore hocks- please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
I’ve done everything.
I can’t get rid of my mini rex’s sore hocks. I know they’re predisposed because of they’re thin fur but I’ve been so cautious and still can’t get rid of them.

He’s a male mini rex, 7 mos. old, in wire enclosure with thick fleece flooring. He has run of the living room during the evening and morning but while I’m at school or work, he’s in his cage. It’s too small for him so I’ve purchased NIC grids and going to make him a nice big pen today. His litter box has puppy pee pads and a large hay rack.

Any ideas welcome

I have found that fleece can sometimes make it worse alone. I put wood pieces on the wire to keep them off of it. If he will keep it on, I have had some who will some who won't, depends on the rabbit. I used to put Preparation H directly on it then pull apart a cotton ball and place it on there, then wrap it in sports wrap but don't wrap too tight and you may have to wrap above the ankle to keep it on but make sure he can still bend his ankle. I have had mostly mini rex and I found that the wood prevented it and the wrap could treat it. I used to just keep blankets in there but that was making it worse and I would have to treat all the time, until I tried putting wood in there then they only ever had just some pink never bad or inflamed or bleeding or anything.

Yup, do everything @Augustus&HazelGrace said! I have a Mini Rex and he is actually on concrete. It keeps his nails filed down and keeps him cool in the summer. I have never had an issue with sore hocks, probably because he has some towels on the floor that he is normally sitting on. I just got these foam puzzle mats just to be safe, and because they look nicer: https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/272629204. Maybe they will help?

If bunny does not chew the foam puzzle mats, that would be a great option. (some chew them up, others don't)

The advantage of the foam mats (or anything similar) is that it mimics the softness of the earth. A thick pile of fleece isn't quite the same. As soft as fleece is, it can still rub the fur which is apparently not helping the sore hocks. The mats don't have that same effect.

It's also good to have variety in flooring. So if foam mats are used, an area could also have a large piece of porcelain or ceramic tile on top to provide a cool surface, another area could have a cat bed.

I’ve done everything.
I can’t get rid of my mini rex’s sore hocks. I know they’re predisposed because of they’re thin fur but I’ve been so cautious and still can’t get rid of them.

He’s a male mini rex, 7 mos. old, in wire enclosure with thick fleece flooring. He has run of the living room during the evening and morning but while I’m at school or work, he’s in his cage. It’s too small for him so I’ve purchased NIC grids and going to make him a nice big pen today. His litter box has puppy pee pads and a large hay rack.

Any ideas welcome
My dwarf gets that sometimes, I have a method to cure every time. My bunny is indoor, free range, litter trained as well. As he is old now his fur under paw is not as fluffy. Here is my method.. wash paw with warm water and baby shampoo. Blot dry with towel and blow dry gently - low heat! Next, put a dot of antibiotic ointment on sore part. Cut a small square of gauze pad for bottom of foot. Wrap with that stick-to-itself tan athletic tape up to ankle. Make sure this is NOT tight! It makes little boots. In 2 days sores gone. Senior rabbits have delicate piggies.

My dwarf gets that sometimes, I have a method to cure every time. My bunny is indoor, free range, litter trained as well. As he is old now his fur under paw is not as fluffy. Here is my method.. wash paw with warm water and baby shampoo. Blot dry with towel and blow dry gently - low heat! Next, put a dot of antibiotic ointment on sore part. Cut a small square of gauze pad for bottom of foot. Wrap with that stick-to-itself tan athletic tape up to ankle. Make sure this is NOT tight! It makes little boots. In 2 days sores gone. Senior rabbits have delicate piggies.

Delicate piggies! Love that term! I wish I could do this but Rémy is not the most cooperative bun. Which antibiotic brand is good to use?

If bunny does not chew the foam puzzle mats, that would be a great option. (some chew them up, others don't)

The advantage of the foam mats (or anything similar) is that it mimics the softness of the earth. A thick pile of fleece isn't quite the same. As soft as fleece is, it can still rub the fur which is apparently not helping the sore hocks. The mats don't have that same effect.

It's also good to have variety in flooring. So if foam mats are used, an area could also have a large piece of porcelain or ceramic tile on top to provide a cool surface, another area could have a cat bed.

He chews the yoga mats and puzzle flooring :( that’s why I put the fleece down. I’m seriously out of ideas.

Which antibiotic brand is good to use?
Neosporin is the best, but the second option would be triple antibiotic ointment from Equate.
He chews the yoga mats and puzzle flooring :( that’s why I put the fleece down. I’m seriously out of ideas.
Try towels? That is what I used before I got the puzzle mats. It doesn't matter if he chews them a little, just make sure he doesn't eat any of it.

Apollo (my mini Rex/rex, we have no idea what one) started to get sore hocks because of my carpet. And I knew he would chew foam mats. So I use duvet covers on my floor and it seems to help. I think that they’re from IKEA but don’t quote me on that. I’ve had them since I was four so I didn’t spend anything on it. Maybe you could find one that you could put over the fleece? It’ll be too thin to use on its own I think.

There is a fabulous antimicrobic ointment online if you can find it, its used a lot for horses but is like gold for bunny abscesses.. Novalsan. It is extraordinary, they sell an antimicrobic wash too. All you need is a little dot on the sores.. but the feet should be covered. I agree with the memory foam mats for in front of sink. My bunny is old and boney but so pampered and loved. I even sewed him a bunny coat with velcro on the back. Once their feet get like that, you have to get rid of the infection, so painful. After I wash his feet and blow dry, I poof up his sparse hair on his feet with moustache comb, more cushiony. Then antibiotic on sore, gauze pad and wrap feet. Bunnies try to pull off at first. It works so fast its freaky. With booties on sores stay clean, dry, medicated. Heals very fast.

Someone on another forum had a elderly rex house rabbit that had sore hocks and she wrapped them in gauze and then put toddler socks on the rabbit. And the rabbits feet heeled. When they got better she just kept the toddler socks on the rabbit for ever to keep it from getting sore hocks again.

I think as far as ointments go- one of the best places to look that up is the disabled rabbits web site. They have a page on sore hocks here is the link—http://www.disabledrabbits.com/sore-hocks.html

7SrTPxG

Kswn9Wc

When I was in a cast years ago I sewed him 'carpet running socks" if a foot was funky. I sewed it out of cast liner gloves because its very soft and stretchy. My dwarf has extra skinny feet so I made him tube socks on the slim side so his knee-hi sock would stay on. The other pic he has on his elastic bandage booties with gauze pads under feet first. These are durable booties that he cannot pull off. Sort of like shoes because he can go outside in them.
Just make sure they are not wrapped tight!

Latest posts

Back