Ever so slightly worried about sniffling.sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Hey guys, Sofie has been sniffling lately every once and a while. It's pretty uncommon, and her nose is completely dry. It's been since it's gotten colder.

But she's been sneezing, about 3-6 times in a row. She is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing fine and she's acting perfectly happy. She's binkying and being happy. She is letting me pet her, snuggling with me, so on and so forth.

I wouldn't have even thought anything of it if my friend hadn't pointed out that her bunny sniffled slightly for a while, but acted fine, then wound up having pneumonia and passing away after a long uphill battle with cultures...antibiotics....other nasties... :(

So I was just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen? I've noticed its when the weather is a lot colder that she does it. When it's warmer, she never ever does it.

Any ideas? If I had to say absolutely anything, I'd say it's allergies...

ETA: Now that I'm thinking about it, it's been since I added a new air freshener to my apartment. I'm going to remove it from that room and see if she improves. Actually, she's sniffled a lot less since I've switched from Pumpkin Spice to Buttercream. Maybe she's allergic to the air plug?

Do you notice her sneezing when she is eating her hay? Sometimes it's the dust.

If you aren't seeing any discharge, and they don't sound rattly, it's PROBABLY nothing. However, you might want to take her in to the vet to have a listen just to be sure.

See I thought about that, but it's not just when she's eating hay. It's whenever she's in that room. And now that I'm really thinking about it, it's normally when she's near the plug-in.

Its a strong scent....oh I feel badly now...I've removed it.

Air freshenser plug ins are not good for rabbits, I don't even think thatthey are good for humans either and will kill birds.
if you think it'sthe plug in then the problem is solved but I have seen a case of simple sneezing that turned into a lung infection and the bunny was gone because he was too sick to recover. it happened to a shelter bun that we adopted outto a member of this website
So I wouldn't eliminate the idea that it is respiratory infection.

I have treatd my own buns with antibiotics for sneezing in a situation where nothing else was different in the rooms but sneezing just occured.
The sneezing ceased so I have to think that it was a budding respiratory infection.

you already have your finger on this so I am sure that you will narow it down in time and know what to do ; it isn't any emergency now.

Not sure what to say except what I know.

Snuff has sneezing spells. Not that often, but, sometimes, when he does, it's that many times in a row and it can be scary! I chalk it up to hair or a piece of hay in his nose. He stops and it doesn't happen again for weeks. Could be an allergy, but according to the evidence, sounds like something may be obstructing the nasal airway...:)

Could be the same with yours or allergies as you suggested. I would just make sure they have hay and clean air. Should be okay. If things get a bit worse, I'd get to a vet.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

Happy Thanksgiving!:)

Ivory wrote:
Hey guys, Sofie has been sniffling lately every once and a while. It's pretty uncommon, and her nose is completely dry. It's been since it's gotten colder.

But she's been sneezing, about 3-6 times in a row. She is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing fine and she's acting perfectly happy. She's binkying and being happy. She is letting me pet her, snuggling with me, so on and so forth.

I wouldn't have even thought anything of it if my friend hadn't pointed out that her bunny sniffled slightly for a while, but acted fine, then wound up having pneumonia and passing away after a long uphill battle with cultures...antibiotics....other nasties... :(

So I was just wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen? I've noticed its when the weather is a lot colder that she does it. When it's warmer, she never ever does it.

ETA: Now that I'm thinking about it, it's been since I added a new air freshener to my apartment. I'm going to remove it from that room and see if she improves. Actually, she's sniffled a lot less since I've switched from Pumpkin Spice to Buttercream. Maybe she's allergic to the air plug?
our house rabbit sneezed,we listened,,the more we listened,,we caught him sneezing,,not expelling anything-just sneezing,,i am not a firm believer in herbivores being allergic to orchard grass,,so off to the dvm-where a nasal culture showed a bacterial infection called enterococcus,requiring antibiotic called trimethoprim,,he is all better now--that was 6 months ago,,now our two house cats,and kithave-pnemanititis--from unknown origin-both incl.kitten are on clavamox--i am afraid to sneeze...hope this helps...sincerely james waller:wave:

james waller wrote:
Ivory wrote:

our house rabbit sneezed,we listened,,the more we listened,,we caught him sneezing,,not expelling anything-just sneezing,,i am not a firm believer in herbivores being allergic to orchard grass,,so off to the dvm-where a nasal culture showed a bacterial infection called enterococcus,requiring antibiotic called trimethoprim,,he is all better now--that was 6 months ago,,now our two house cats,and kithave-pnemanititis--from unknown origin-both incl.kitten are on clavamox--i am afraid to sneeze...hope this helps...sincerely james waller:wave:
It's good to know and keep in our libraries!:D

Latest posts

Back