Euthanasia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Reaction score
I discussed having one of my rabbits PTS with my vet and she said she does it by giving an injection into the heart because the veins are too small in rabbits to do in any other way. I read somewhere that injection to the heart was out dated and it is not done that way anymore because its painful.

Can anyone tell me what the proper method of euthanasia is for a small rabbit with small veins is?

Also, I am wondering if there is a vet manual that explains the procedure that I could buy and take to the vets from now on so I can point to instructions in a rabbit vet manual instead of having to argue with the vet. Would the Manual of Rabbit medicine by Molly Varga have that kind of information?

According to the most recent AVMA Guidelines for Euthanasia, "Intracardiac (in mammals and birds), intrasplenic, intrahepatic, and intrarenal injections must only be used if the animal is unconscious or anesthetized"
IV injection is absolutely possible in rabbits, though there can be challenges in any species with individuals with difficult veins. Common sites for catheter placement in rabbits include the ears and cephalic veins. Vascular access is also possible through the saphenous vein.

Thank you Missycove, I'm so worried my vet doesn't know what he is doing and knowing this makes me feel better.

When I've had to have it done, the vet sedates the rabbit first so they're calm and we have a couple more minutes to sit with them and when the time comes they do it through an injection in the ear. It's always been very quick and peaceful, they're normally gone in seconds.

We have had two pts, and they have both had IV ports. They give a sedation medicine to relax them, and then another injection to put them to sleep. There was no struggle, they just fall asleep and then they slip over the rainbow bridge. It was very quickly and painless for the rabbit. I would consult another vet. If you don't have access to another vet, I would request that the vet sedate your rabbit before pts in that method (if they insist that is the only method to use). Hugs to you....I know it's not easy!

Latest posts

Back