Ethics of teeth filing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
My rabbit who I took in two years ago when he was found in woods is a great bunny very friendly relaxed. Loves being stroked cuddled. Vets think he must be 10/11. He has to have his teeth filed every 6/8 weeks and only eats soft pellets. This was suggested by the vet and he has been on these 12 months. And 1 grape a day which he loves. His poo is better since this new diet and never has a pooyey bum. My regular vet has been off sick longterm so another vet said she did not think it ethical to keep doing this to him. I did look at another rabbit savvy vet who was not concerned snd did his teeth and he was fine. He has Metacam with food when I sense his teeth hurt. This works well with no side effects. He has plenty of life and always tries to mate with my younger rabbit. I wondered if anyone else has had this to face?

Attachments

• EC2022FA-C9DB-4D58-8C36-C26AAA2ECBFF.png
    EC2022FA-C9DB-4D58-8C36-C26AAA2ECBFF.png
    583.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 4E45646A-B81A-4702-A98C-8F13441A8BDC.jpeg
    4E45646A-B81A-4702-A98C-8F13441A8BDC.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 00B48C71-6F5E-486B-A7BE-F616E0FA5F76.jpeg
    00B48C71-6F5E-486B-A7BE-F616E0FA5F76.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 3
I have had several rabbits with teeth problems. I think you should stick with the rabbit savvy vet. If your rabbit has a good quality of life, it probably isn't time to let him go. It looks like you are doing a good job of controlling his pain. My rabbit was 12 when I put him to sleep. He would not interact with me anymore, spent all his time hiding and was losing weight.

I have had several rabbits with teeth problems. I think you should stick with the rabbit savvy vet. If your rabbit has a good quality of life, it probably isn't time to let him go. It looks like you are doing a good job of controlling his pain. My rabbit was 12 when I put him to sleep. He would not interact with me anymore, spent all his time hiding and was losing weight.
Thanks as you see he’s chilled out loves exploring the room. I think we know when it’s time sadly. 12 was a good age for yours too.

I don't see why that vet has an issue with it. As long as your rabbit doesn't have a problem with the dental procedure and any other minimal pain is controlled with pain meds, and he has an otherwise happy life, why not let him continue to enjoy it. Some vets that are less experienced with rabbits, can presume a rabbit can't still have a good life when it has long term health issues. When the rabbit actually can still have a chance at a happy life if those health issues are managed correctly where the rabbit isn't suffering.

Last edited:
Good points yes I think less exp vets would look at the easy option to them. When I feed him his bowl of soft pellets he’s like a dog can’t wait to eat them. Whilst he’s got an appetite and is comfortable why take his life away. Thanks

Well, actually I think a phrased that wrong, it wasn't meant as a vet bashing. I'm sure every vet gets into the situation that an animal suffers and the owner refuses or can't acknowledge it, delegating the decision to the vet. I totaly understand that. It's a valuable service since many need help in that situation.
The thing I wouldn't accept would be a recommendation or urging (countrary to neutral information) because the vet thinks it's not worth the bother. Like a dentist that goes streight for a root canal although there would be still a way to get away with a filling, but it wouldn't be easy. I know both kind of dentists, and vets are just humans too.

Latest posts

Back