Escape-Bun's 'new' cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laeci

Reaction score
Nyx has recently learned to escape from her pen. We previously had a playpen around her 'baby cage' (like this only bigger), but apparently she's been training for hurdles when we weren't noticing, because she can now hop over the fence in a single jump. It's really quite amazing, considering she's only 3 lbs and can jump 3 ft!

Because no one's around to watch her when my husband and I are at school or work, we had to do something... I felt guilty leaving Nyx locked in her 'baby cage' even while we were at the store shopping for cage supplies.

Here's her "let me out mommy!!" face:

2.jpg

So, we took the pen into the living room...

1-2.jpg

... took off four of the panels and made them into a roof (with lots of zip ties.)

3.jpg

We also bought one box of wire racks from Target to make a shelf, and to stabilize the side of the cage since it was kinda floppy.

4.jpg

You can't really see because of all the overlapping bars, but Nyx is inside the box on her cold tile. =) (We don't have air conditioning... I wish *I* had a cold tile too!)

Oh, and I need to look for something to put on top of the shelf... her 'bed' is pretty thin and probably isn't all that comfy with bars under it. Kinda like sleeping on a fold-out couch bed, hm? =P

5.jpg

...but, she goes up there anyway.

6.jpg

And how handy to use remaining cubes for bunny storage. Yay new cage! No more waking up to bunny poop in the bathtub and the covers chewed off the books on the bottom shelf... and a bunny chewing in the laundry basket. =)

That is, until she figures out how to escape this one...

She's a cutie. :biggrin2:I'll be surprised if she could get out of that.Lol. My baby bun got out of her NIC cage last night for the first time and I have no idea how she did it. So I might be adding a top and more panels to my cage too.

:sunshine:April

Ooh, bun escapes are scary! Hope you found yours soon. My husband and I were searching the apartment for mine a few days ago... actually he was searching and I was freaking out, heh...

Oh - and your avatar is adorable =D

Well, one way for them to escape is to climb out. Had a mini and a Nethie that would jump at the side and then start climbing--couldn't figure out how they were getting out till I hid around a corner and watched and waited. That's only two out of 28 that did it.

Laeci wrote:
Ooh, bun escapes are scary! Hope you found yours soon. My husband and I were searching the apartment for mine a few days ago... actually he was searching and I was freaking out, heh...

Oh - and your avatar is adorable =D Thank you!!

I didn't know Daisy was out til my boyfriend got home from 3rd shift and woke me up. My dog was barking all night(which wasn't normal)but I didn't think my bunny was out. When I got up and started looking, she came out of my sons room and hopped into my room behind my bed. So we found her pretty quick! Thank god. I was just worried about what she got into while we were sleeping cause my house isn't rabbit proof.I haven't started letting the babies thru the house cause their not 100% litter trained yet, but we're working on it.

:) April

Latest posts

Back