Enlarged Bladder Sludge and/or Stones

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candi9

Reaction score
My bunny, Bunz is 11.5 years old. She has had a history of sludge when she was younger (4-5 years), never anything serious, just some dry pee coming out for a half a day or so that would resolve itself.

I transitioned her to more veggies, no pellets, and more exercise. Problem seemed to go away. At 9 years old, she lost about a pound, and a vet recommended that maybe I give her a little pellets each day to help her maintain weight. I have been doing that and have gotten a bit lax about exercise and on some days don't give fresh veggies.

About 5 days ago I noticed tiny poop, and very frequent urination, along with a sore bottom and some fur missing. Took her to vet and her xrays shows her bladder is very large (she said at least 2x normal) and entirely full of calcium sludge or stones, she said she cannot tell if there are any stones in there or if it's all sludge.

Since then I've been giving NO pellets, some grass and lots of fresh veggies low in Calcium. Trying to get her to move around more also to mix it around. We decided against surgery for now due to her age. She's on pain meds and antibiotics now. Her first subq fluid treatment was yesterday. Does anyone have any advice on frequency of subq fluids and also how much to administer to be most effective? She weighs 4 lbs. Also, any other tips? She still has tiny poos and I'm monitoring closely as well as how much she is eating and drinking.

Thank you so much for any advice. I'm a mess and I really want to try my best to fix her.

Last edited:
Since sub q fluids are prescription, how much and how often to give should have all been information that your vet provided you with. 20ml/kg can be given, but whether or not that amount should be given to your rabbit and how often, depends on the medical details that your vet has. It would be best to phone them to get that info. Unless they didn't have that info to give to you. If so, you can take a look at this link as it has medical info on fluid administration for rabbits.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Man/VeterinaryTechniques/TreatmentCare.htm#FluidTherapy

Latest posts

Back