English Lop versus a Flemish Giant; HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilyasb

Reaction score
I'm looking to add another rabbit to the one I have now. I'd like a bigger rabbit, as Jack is a Nethie.

I'm wanting a rabbit that's cuddly and not so independant. I've heard great things about English Lops as well as Flemish Giants.

Can anyone tell me which would be the better one to choose? Getting an English Lop, however, I'd be worried about their ears getting hurt or something. I now this sounds weird, but it's true! Ha.

Any input is appreciated!

-Emily

Nancy McClelland wrote:
don't know much about either of those, but, we have a Checkered Giant and she is one big lap bunny. Loves attention and will follow you everywhere. Rub her and you have a job for life.
Awhh, really? I know someone who sells checkereds too. Iwas thinking about gettingone of those as well too. How big is yours?

My EL is the best thing ever. Just like a dog, cuddly, does tricks, everything.
I couldn't have chosen a better rabbit, and no his ears don't get in teh way ;)
But you do have to clean them!

Hi Emily...I have an EL he's 8 mos old now and he's extremely smart and does the clicker training. But he's not cuddly, very independent so each one is different.

Good Luck!

Well - here is my very much BIASED opinion as a flemish giant breeder (who is dreaming of having an e-lop someday).

A lot of what you should get is going to depend upon what you're looking for in a rabbit. I find that the personalities of the two breeds are generally different.

To me - from what I've read - the personality of the e-lops is very outgoing, gregarious, troublesome (aka - looking for things to do and winding up getting into trouble) and just very much like so many of the energetic lops I've seen.

Whereby to me - my flemish - while they can get into trouble (those who follow Nyx understand what I mean) - are more laid back...like to play some but also love to just lay around and sleep.

In my mind - a flemish giant is more like a basset hound laying at its owners feet (or in their lap) and the elop is more like a golden retriever - wanting to run and PLAY..

I'd suggest going to the blog area and reading my blog (for flemish), Basstluv's blog (for her e-lop) and Wabbitdad12's blog as he has both flemish and an e-lop.

TinysMom wrote:
Well - here is my very much BIASED opinion as a flemish giant breeder (who is dreaming of having an e-lop someday).

A lot of what you should get is going to depend upon what you're looking for in a rabbit. I find that the personalities of the two breeds are generally different.

To me - from what I've read - the personality of the e-lops is very outgoing, gregarious, troublesome (aka - looking for things to do and winding up getting into trouble) and just very much like so many of the energetic lops I've seen.

Whereby to me - my flemish - while they can get into trouble (those who follow Nyx understand what I mean) - are more laid back...like to play some but also love to just lay around and sleep.

In my mind - a flemish giant is more like a basset hound laying at its owners feet (or in their lap) and the elop is more like a golden retriever - wanting to run and PLAY..

I'd suggest going to the blog area and reading my blog (for flemish), Basstluv's blog (for her e-lop) and Wabbitdad12's blog as he has both flemish and an e-lop.
Thanks so much! This helped me out a bunch!

Latest posts

Back