English Lop and English Spot Help needed please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay!!! Just saw a copy of Bob Whitman's book "Domestic Rabbits & Their Histories" for only $24.38 plus shipping (Buy It Now! Price).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Domestic-Rabbits-Their-Histories-Whitman-Bob-NEW_W0QQitemZ4577775712QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These books are new! A great deal or a great gift for a rabbit loving friend :) I have a signed copy and cherish this excellent book. Certainly a treasure to own . . .

(The current price from the author is $46.00! (includingshipping).http://www.rarebitsandpieces.com/bookinfo.htm

Pam

Pam, After tripping and stumbling my way aroundEBay I was fianlly able to order the book, geesh I never knew something so simple could be so complicated! I cant wait for it to arrive, But I am still going to pick your brain if Idont understand something .

Congrats Gypsy!!! You are going to love the book! I've always enjoyed Bob's articles in the Domestic Rabbit magazine, and was thrilled when he announced he'd be publishing a book.

I don't buy anything until I check Ebay first LOL

Pam

Pam just for a bit of clarification ,

Wasnt it Bob Whitman who first brought over theEnglish standards of Lion Heads? or am Iincorrect? The reason I ambringing this up in my Daughters thread is because both Her and Cassi thinkthey want to breed the English Line. They have a good start now with 4 Does and 3 Bucksall in varing colors. 2 Of the Does Gotten 2 days ago are both pregnant. Did Mr Whitman write a book on just Lion Heads andis there a web site he may have dedicated to justthem ?

I too sometimes feed a small amount of horse sweet feed to condition a rabbit.You must be very cautiuos with it,it will give some bunnies diahrrea.bluebird

I heard back from Otis's breeder. I had asked her if she know generally how much English Lops should weigh like each month, or whatever she could tell me. She said:

There's really no set weight that he should weigh from month to month but on average a 3 month old should weigh in the general area of 6lbs.

Otis is a little over 13 weeks and weighs right around there so he's right on track.

Gypsy, that is a great idea about measuring and weighing them every month. I'm going to start as soon as Jer gets home and gets his homework done.

Tina

PAGING DOC NOCK. PAGING DOC NOCK!! I need help hun, how do you measure the total length of an e-lops ears? Cause I was curious if her ears had grown since I have had her, and I tried measuring and I came up with about 19" total ear length. I am hoping to goodness I measured wrong, but I am not sure so I thought it better to ask....Also now that she is gaining up she is starting to show wonderful mandalin trype body styling without falling short. Also I can no longer feel her spine as promenently as I could when I first got her. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :) It is greatly appriciated

How old is she? Generally, the ears have reached their full growth potential by approx. 4 months of age.

Use a yard stick (you can also get a nice folding "lop stick" from the national club supplies). The ears are pulled straight out to the side (like dumbo flying)and measured from tip to tip. Many people stretch VERY hard to get the longest measurement possible. Generally you can get an extra inch by super stretching, but I don't think you could make up the 3 inch span for minimum length. Try measuring from a couple different points on the tip. I don't want to hurt the rabbit, so I don't normally put pressure on the ears unless the measurement is close to a DQ.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Holy Cow -- that's one heck of a tail LOL

Pam
:laugh:I have been amazed by his tail since he got here. I swear he reminds me of a puppy with that tail. Now I know It's not just me that thing is huge.

Tina

Ok thanks for the info pam! I did measure wrong then, I will go and get a yard stick todat, and re-measure her ears...As I was unsure how to do it I measeured each ear individually not the whole way across... I know at the widest part her ears are roughly 6" but she was NOT happy about haveing her ears messed with lol..She is just bearly 3 months old so she still has more growing to do to so thats a good thing...I will post her new measurments as soon as i get the yard stick. Thanks again for the info....

Tina OMG I think his tail is longer than Nadia's lol

And the measurments are in :

Ear Length: {if I did it right} are 22 1/2 inches long
Ear Width: 5 1/2 inches wide
Back feet: 6 1/2 inch feet {which she also hated being messed with}
Tail: apporiximently 5 1/2 inches but she was not impressed with me messing with her tail.

I will get an official weight on her tomorrow when I can get her to moms house for the weighing as I dont have a scale.

Hey Pam or anyone who might know for that matter lol, is the drastic diffrence in the size of her tail from otis's because she is a female and he is a male?? Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

Hey gypsy and I were wondering if anyone is breeding the lynxing gene into the English Lop? And also would it even be possable to do so?? Also would it be showable?

shadow10978 wrote:
Hey gypsy and I were wondering if anyone is breeding gene into the English Lop? And also would it even be possable to do so?? Also would it be showable?
Lynx is an accepted color in the English Lops. The true geneticLynx is a dilute chocolate agouti, so you need the dilute "D" (blue) and the chocolate gene "B"as well agouti "A" and full extension "E".

Genotype: A_ bb C_ dd E_

The "faux" Lynx that we often see (cream) is a dilutefawn.

Genotype: A_ B_ C_ dd ee

Both the genotypes produce a similar looking color.I rarely see the true lynxes -- most are generally the cream version.

Pam

:ponder:thank you for answering Pam I appriciateit, but I am now so CONFUSED that I had to call gypsy and pick herbrain as to what the heck you were talking about.

shadow10978 wrote:
:ponder:thank you for answering Pam I appriciate it, but I am now so CONFUSED that I had to call gypsy and pick her brain as to what the heck you were talking about.

Producing certain colors is like following a recipe :) There are 5 primary "ingredients" (genes) that can be combined into thousands of different combinations.

In the lops, chocolate is not a common color, so it can be more difficult to produce a true Lynx. However, a different combination of genes produces a similar color that is often called Lynx(but is actually a dilute fawn).

Pam

Ok I think i kind of get it now lol, sorry Im a little slow first thing in the morning too so that dont help.

Where as nadia is a tort, if I can get say a true lynx buck to breed to her would my chance of getting lynx? Im still kindo of confused lol but I think i get the basics of it.

Latest posts

Back