English Lop and English Spot Help needed please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow10978

Reaction score
If anyone has any information on e-lops or e-spots or knows of a good helpfull site it would be greatly appriciated.

I just got a pair of spots and a little english lop girl and I have tried searching both breeds on the net and have not been able to find to much info on either.

I am learning all about English Lops too since I have Otis. I I Med the breeder I got Otis from. As soon as I hear from her I'll let you know. I haven't had much luck finder much about them either, but I am still looking.

Tina

Thats why I figured this would be a good thread for both of us seeing as we are both learing :) I have found out a couple things but nothing major lol and nothing that helps all that much.

Is there anything specific that you both have questions about?

-Carolyn

I know I am looking more for weights. I would like to know how much he should weigh each month, stuff like that. Like there's some thing about his back feet should be like 1/ or1/2 the length of his ear or something. There's something that has to do with their ears, back feet and tail being propotionate. I'll have to ask Riokko again.

Tina

I'll see what I can find out for you later, Tina, in the Standards of Perfection.

:)

-Carolyn

shadow10978 wrote:
My questions lean more towards the show aspects, but I amalso looking for information about the breed in general.

I can check my Domestic Rabbits and Their Histories book. Will get back to you too. :)

-Carolyn

We've got Spots and I judge English Lops quite a bit, if you've got any specific questions on judging/showing. :)

Pam

While I am at the convention, I'll ask at the breed booths to see if I can get any info for you guys. I have a friend who raises English Spots and has very nice ones. If you PM me I'll give you her email (after I check with her first). She is a very nice lady from CT.

Sharon

The English Spot has 35 points on general type(25 on body) and 44 points alloted to markings (the most important marking being the spine at 10 points). Since the body itself is alloted the most points, it is very important to have a good arch and length of body. This is best shown off by the rabbit moving about on the table and fully extending its front legs.

I'm a sucker for the old-time "question mark" sweep to the side markings with good graduation (increase in size of spots).Balance of the side markings is also important.

Many people have worked out mathematicalratios for ideal rabbit type in different breeds. It can be helpful in envisioning the ideal balance of type when you know the ratios.

Pam

There are pages and pages of history of the English Spot in the Domestic Rabbits and their Histories book by Bob D. Whitman.

"Spotted or parti-colored rabbits have been in existence in England for well over 200 years. Yet little attention was being paid to them untithe beginning of the 1800s, when the term "Smut" was first mentioned in Bonnington Moubray's work, A Practical Treasties on Breeding,Rearing and Fateening, All Kinds of Domestic Poultry, Pheasants,Pigeons and Rabbits, in 1816.

The book devotes many pages to this breed alone.

-Carolyn

English Lops

Again, you've touched upon a breed with a lot of history. Too much to type here for the few pages it covers in the Domestic Rabbits and Their Histories book by Bob Whitman.

"English Lops are the very oldest of the exhibition breeds, that is, it is the breed which started rabbit shows, especially in the British Isles. The origin of the Lop-eared rabbit, as it was first called, is rather shrouded in history. Some of the early writers say that the rabbits came from Algiers, North Africa, some say from the island of Madagascar; hense the early name for the variety we call tortoiseshell.Another writer places the breed in Patagona; some say that the Lop-eared rabbits were known in the warrens of England, and others clearly state the first Lops came from China, which were then crossed with the larger rabbits of England..."

You guys ROCK!!!!!!! Thank you so much for all the help...I really appriciate it :):mrsthumper: you guys have been a huge help......

Pam do you by chance have any pictures of winning english lops and spots?? I think it would help me imensely if I could see what they are supposed to look like......

Also Tina has a question that has kind of peaked my interest when I saw it posted. I swear Nadia is under weight for her age but then again I was talking to someone from the local show ring and they said that with english lops it is normal for the backbone to be able to be felt even though the weight is good. So I am curious if she is way under weight or if she is ok and I am worrying for nothing lol.

There are a couple really nice photos on this page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030425232111/www.arbajudgesed.com/el.htm

A stunning dalmation spotted EL won a BIS at a show I was at recently. The owner has another broken doe that is equally as nice (in fact, I chose the other as first place in another show because the blanket pattern is preferred over the spotted pattern).

[align=left]"Lorrie Stillo,Ohio & photos of her winning English Lop Broken Senior Doe, "Charlene Darling" Ear #CHARLN [Above Left] Best In Show at Cuyahoga Co R& CBA on 10/02/05 - [Above Right] 2nd Reserve in Show with"Charlene Darling" at the Rabbit Fanciers of North Central Ohio09/11/05 show"[/align]
[align=center]
lrcalorchar2ris1010x.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
lrcalorcharbis1010.jpg
[/align]
A common fault I often see is specimens that are very rough and bony over the hindquarters.

Some nice Spot photos here:

http://www.geocities.com/europatb/spotsnow.html

I can feel Otis's shoulders, spine and pin bones. I'm thinking the drive and all was a bit stressful on him. I added a pinch of oats to his pellets every day and am mixing alfalfa and timothy hay for him.

I don't want him too thin but I also don't want him over weight either.

Tina

shadow10978 wrote:
Also Tina has a question that has kind of peaked my interest when I saw it posted. I swear Nadia is under weight for her age but then again I was talking to someone from the local show ring and they said that with english lops it is normal for the backbone to be able to be felt even though the weight is good. So I am curious if she is way under weight or if she is ok and I am worrying for nothing lol.

Bony specimens are common, but this is not a desired trait.Some may be the proper weight, but may still be rough over the spine and/or hindquarters.

Pam

Thank you so much for the two sites Pam!! The one on the English lop was a huge help... I know nadia's ears arnt all that long yet, but so far so good they are well balanced to her little body... I was reading through it and her ears when laid across her back do end right about where her hips start.... I think I might have won me a prize winner, and if not her I believe with the right male she might just be able to produce the best babies and adults for NH! At least thats what I am hoping... Up here they are not a very common rabbit from what i have seen from looking in moms ARBA book. I am hoping to be able to make this breed rise in popularity up here and also make my rabbits the best of the best lol.

Latest posts

Back