English angoras and heat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angora

Reaction score
its been really hot here and I'm wondering how angoras do in the heat? It's supposed to stay 90-100 degrees for the new week or so. I trimmed his fur. He has plenty off shade and water. Do you think he'll be okay?

Rabbits can suffer heatstroke in temps as low as 80F - especially if its humid. You can freeze some 2 liter bottles of water to put in the enclosure. If bunny is willing to lay near it, that will keep him cool. (Some rabbits ignore the bottle.)

A refrigerated ceramic tile (12" x 12" or larger) can also be placed in the space for him to lay upon. Good idea to have a couple so they can be rotated - one in fridge while other is in enclosure.

Following link lists out what to look out for that could indicate heatstroke:
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

How did your bunny do during this heat wave? Yesterday was miserable where I live. It was 95 degrees and so humid it felt like walking through hot soup. I was thinking about your fuzzy bun, hoping he was comfortable. Did you bring him inside or did he stay outside?

Oh he’s an indoor bunny now. Lol

Attachments

• 9FAEBA2D-B402-4141-993A-5B9E43651B83.jpeg
    9FAEBA2D-B402-4141-993A-5B9E43651B83.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 22
  • CA9CF433-5B15-41AF-8200-474EE27B9184.jpeg
    CA9CF433-5B15-41AF-8200-474EE27B9184.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 23
  • AB6D22AF-971D-4286-879F-C535FD20D014.jpeg
    AB6D22AF-971D-4286-879F-C535FD20D014.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 19
He's too cute! Glad he's enjoying the cool of indoors!

That ex-pen you are using can be configured to provide more space if you make use of the existing walls. Here's a couple examples...

(The 2nd photo assumes bunny isn't one to jump on top of his cage -- or he might escape. But I think you get the idea. ;) )

You may want to put something down on top of the nice wood flooring. A low pile area rug or a rolled piece of linoleum can prevent damage to the floor (from the pen itself scratching the floor to bunny nails, or bunny urine, etc. ).

sams x pen.jpg penelope-cage_1_orig.jpg

Thanks. We are still potty training and working with the shape of the cage. Right now he’s been peeing the perimeter so we are keeping it small until he gets the hang of things. Hopefully soon!

I love angoras! Definitely keep him inside at all times...all climates. As he grows, he will get brave enough to jump and you will have to start re-arranging his pen. His pen looks fine for his age at present. Angora's are so sweet. Keep holding and loving on him and he will be your best friend. This type of angora you will have to cut his hair. I save the hair and spin it, but mix it with other fibers.

Latest posts

Back