EMLA cream for rabbit tattoos?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Has anybody had any experience using EMLA cream for rabbit tattoos? This is an interesting option making me think we can do our own tattooing just after the rabbits are spayed/neutered. They'll be awake but loaded up with pain meds. This will ease the burden on the vet(s) when we run 300 rabbits through the clinic(s) in a short period of time. (The Rabbit Grimace Scale in this study is sad that the rabbits have to suffer at all, but at least we'll know how much they're suffering in the future).

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0044437

I haven't, but I also use a tattoo pen. And it must not hurt them, because they just sit there. I do have a clamp, but have never used it...and probably never will. But the pen there's no wiggling, no moving, and no screaming.

I dont know about for rabbits, but myself and I know a few others who have tried it on themselves for a tattoo and it didn't make a difference. You have to watch too that if it's absorbed into the skin it can alter the tattoo in a way... but thats more for people I guess since plain letters and numbers are nice and simple.

Latest posts

Back