Emit and Emmi- bonding, diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Button

Reaction score
So I went out and checked the bunnies this morning expecting to see emmi in her fence and emit in his.. nope.. they were both in emits just snuggling away and grooming each other. I take that they like each other but I will not be leaving them unsupervised for a few more days unless they decide to escape to the others pen. Currently I am watching them have play time out side. Here’s a picture! Or maybe a few… FYI they have had there fences side by side since Saturday so 4 days they have been seeing and smelling each other. Is it to soon though? I’ve read where it takes weeks to bond?? Is that true or did I just find the perfect match of buns?

Attachments

• EDC57491-8DD0-4A54-BFF1-2A1D0CF0116E.jpeg
    EDC57491-8DD0-4A54-BFF1-2A1D0CF0116E.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 4AD68C02-6C45-4A34-BAC7-F12F3A0F7984.jpeg
    4AD68C02-6C45-4A34-BAC7-F12F3A0F7984.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 12
Also, he seems to be overweight but I’m not sure exactly what breed he is. He is definitely a magpie harlequin but is that just the name for his coloring? I know he was possible in a lion heads litter but unsure as there was two litters at the same time. He is on the smaller side in length but really chunky. He also seems to be hogging the veggy plant and instantly comes when I have his pellets, veggies or an occasional treat. Since I’m not sure of his breed how much should I feed him? If I feed both rabbits in the same dish is 1/2 cup to much? 1/4 cup each. He doesn’t seem to be to bad in chunky ness but he is definitely overweight. He is getting a chin like Emmis but not as big so that’s how I know he is overweight.

Some rabbits will bond easily and without effort. It doesn't always take weeks...or even days. So, yes, you may have been lucky! :D

As for questions about their diet... what are their ages? (I assume they're both fixed?)

Yes they are both fixed. Emmi will be 1 on January 1st and emit is 2 will be 3 on the 16th of this month.

Yes they are both fixed. Emmi will be 1 in January and emit 3 this month.
Some rabbits will bond easily and without effort. It doesn't always take weeks...or even days. So, yes, you may have been lucky! :D

As for questions about their diet... what are their ages? (I assume they're both fixed?)

I've heard that you can tell if a rabbit is overweight by feeling their spine. If you can feel the bones poking up, then they should be fine. If is is flat and fleshy you have an overweight rabbit. They are a beautiful pair!

Can't really tell from the photos if he's overweight, but your lop looks to be, as far as I can tell. You can take a look at this body condition chart in the link below, to see where you think they both fall on it. If they both are overweight, I would suggest going with a smaller pellet amount. I would cut it back to 1/8 cup twice a day to share, then free feed a good quality grass hay that is preferably a mix of leaf and stem(not too soft, not too coarse). And also no sugary/high carb treats.

(chart for breeding/show rabbits, but best visual example I've found)
http://ontariorabbit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/BCS_Rabbit_Final_Approved.pdf
Love a first sight is the best way to bond... completely stress free 🥰

Can't really tell from the photos if he's overweight, but your lop looks to be, as far as I can tell. You can take a look at this body condition chart in the link below, to see where you think they both fall on it. If they both are overweight, I would suggest going with a smaller pellet amount. I would cut it back to 1/8 cup twice a day to share, then free feed a good quality grass hay that is preferably a mix of leaf and stem(not too soft, not too coarse). And also no sugary/high carb treats.

(chart for breeding/show rabbits, but best visual example I've found)
http://ontariorabbit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/BCS_Rabbit_Final_Approved.pdf
Love a first sight is the best way to bond... completely stress free 🥰

Thanks for your reply! My lop is overweight and we have been working on it. Should I cut back a bit on the veggies? They get 4 cups of veg a day. Is that too much?
[/QUOTE]

You don't need to change the veggie amount if the veggies aren't starchy veggies like carrots. Most veggies aren't really going to contribute to weight gain as they are mostly water, fiber, and low carb nutrients.

Emmi and Emit are now fully bonded! I’m so happy that they have each other to be with. I call emit Emmis husbun hehe.They love to groom and cuddle one another and are doing great.

Latest posts

Back