Emergency

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit gave birth to 2 baby’s that were live and 1 dead. She then passed away. I am sure it was from some complications but I need to know what is recommended to do with the baby’s as I want to keep them alive. I don’t have access to any other mother but I do have access to other senior does. Should I syringe feed or what is suggested?

Call your other breeder friends and ask if you can foster the two to one of their nursing does that may have babies around the same age. I would not recommend syringe feeding as the mortality rate are high with that.

I don’t want to let them to the other breeder as I know that her rabbits are in poor condition outdoor. They don’t have any around the same age anyways.

No, as they are not producing any milk and she will likely reject them anyway without her having a litter herself. I know that those conditions are not the best, but I always kept mine outside and they were fine but they were protected from wind and weather, but I don't know what's all going on at theirs. But the only chance of them surviving is being with that other one. And they only have to be with her for a minimum of 5 weeks. I know others will give me crap about that but my does weaned their babies themselves at 5 weeks, as long as the other breeder says they are eating pellets they will be ok.

It doesn’t work to give them to a non current mother doe?
No, because those does don't have milk.
Your best bet for these kits surviving is finding somebody who has a doe with kits who can foster them. Lots of breeders keep rabbits outdoors, if you can find anybody with a doe with milk it would have a better chance than syringe feeding them. When I did end up syringe feeding I used raw goat milk mixed with a small amount of heavy whipping cream and powdered KMR, heated to body temperature. Aspiration is a major concern, you can't force them to nurse.

When did that litter pass away? If it was recently, it could be worth a try.

I don’t want to let them to the other breeder as I know that her rabbits are in poor condition outdoor. They don’t have any around the same age anyways.
Babies can survive without milk 24-48 hours so you just need to keep them warm maybe give them an extra hot bottle as normally when there are more babies they keep warm each other, but with only two it can be more difficult. Then you have time to find solution, at least 24 hours. If you have an option to give them to another doe even if you don't like her your other option is hand-feed with milk replacements as described above or lose your babies.
Also I don't know your circumstances but babies are okay with just one or two 5 mins feedings per day, maybe you can bring them to your neighbour breeder keeping them warm and feed manually, once a day would be fine. See video how to do it.
Anyway if your options are to give to another doe that you don't like and lose them maybe I don't know you decide for yourself how much you want them to survive.
Here's a few videos might be helpful

Here's kinda similar situation to yours and she explains how to make a replacement too

She probably won't take them and raise them on her own so you will have to do the manual feedings by bringing them to her and making her feed them at least once a day until they look full.

Latest posts

Back