Emergency!! What's wrong with bunny's eye? + pic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buture

Reaction score
So i came back from my college residence for a few days to see my rabbit who was in my mom's care. Something's definitely wrong with her eyes. I think she tears up and it dries up in her hair around her eyes? Well, i tried to clean the dry bits and hair around her eye just came OFF! I'm really scared for her. That was awhile ago and now it just looks worse. She doesn't look like she's in any pain, and she acts completely normal. But what the heck can i do to help her!? Vet offices are closed since its easter, so until next week when i can get it checked out, can anyone tell me what this is and if anyone's had a problem with it before?
Here's a recent picture too.
http://tinypic.com/r/qppdoi/5
Please help! :pray:

Edit: After a lot of googling, i think it's conjunctivitis. Any tips?

Don't worry about the fur, that will just be from the salt/irritation and it will grow back. I would bathe her eye several times per day with saline (boil water, leave to cool and add a pinch of salt) use separate cotton wool/cloth for each eye if they are both effected so you don't transfer infection. If you also do the fur around her eye that will remove the salt and it will stop it matting/getting sore.

There are a few possible causes, it could be an injury, infection or related to tooth problem. But, that should tide you over till you can see a vet, as long as she's not showing any other symptoms :)

:yeahthat:

It looks worse than it is, take a deep breath! :)

If you don't want to boil water, you can use any human grade saline..like for rinsing your eyes after putting in contacts and what not. Just don't get one that has protein remover in it, ow ow ow !!

Keep us posted!

Warm compresses of chamomile tea will help to clean andsooth.

It also has antimicrobic/antibiotic properties, so it will help keep infection in check.

:pray:

I agree with the previous posts. It could be conjunctivitis, but it could also be something more serious. Conjunctivitis can sometimes be treated with topical eye drops or creams, but it looks pretty advanced in her case. Other parts of the eye and surrounding area can get infected too. Another possibility is tooth root infection/abscess putting pressure on her eye. Use the warm compresses (I haven't used chamomile before but if Jim has, that's fine too) to clear gunk out of the eye and get her to a vet soon. The vet should give you antibiotics of some sort and may want to do a dental x-ray.

Thanks so much guys.
I tried the saline thing but she just rubs her eyes after.. with her front and back legs. Why are vets closed whenever i need them most.. -_-

I went to the vet a few days later and they gave me this gel that you apply on her eye. Did that twice a day for about a week and she's excellent now! The hair is growing back and there's no crusty stuff at all!

Latest posts

Back