Emergency Rescue Situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Hey guys, Magic Happens has a very huge issue. EBR animal control picked up 9 rabbits and 20 guinea pigs from a house. Basically, a hoarder situation. The guinea pigs have thankfully been taken care of, but the bunnies are in a pickle. We are swamped with near to 40 rabbits, with 10 on a waiting list. We got all 9 rabbits in, 3 males and 6 females. All of the females are pregnant. Some of them are pretty far along. 70 feral cats and a number of dogs that I don't know of were also taken from the situation.

They are Lionhead mixes. They have all been fed on guinea pig food. MHRR cannot afford the spay bill for these rabbits. We can get a few spayed, but we really, really cannot house this many rabbits. We have had some miscommunications with rescues in Texas, I am not sure of the situation but while they're gonna help us find homes, they are unable to to take the bunnies physically.

So we have a very large problem. Frankly, it would help if someone could take a male, even, because we truly don't have room. They are doubled up in cages and doing well, but we need to get these guys somewhere else.

They are all small Lionhead mixes. They are fairly skittish but should tame with handling. I am currently on my cell phone and will be on my laptop later tonight to post on the normal part of the forum. I am really sorry to bring this up but we are desperate.

Whether its whole or part we can work on transportation. Even donations will help a lot. We can split spay costs, even just help with the costs will help a lot. We just need help.

To sponsor a snip for a male, it is $25. To sponsor a snip for a female, it is $35. A donation on Paypal can be made at http://www.magichappensrescue.com . These rabbits MUST be spayed before being shipped out.

A male can also be sent out, however, he must be neutered first.

The rescue's number is 225-341-2866. Wendy's email is [email protected]. She is the main head honcho of MHRR. My email is [email protected]. Please get in touch with one of us if anyone can do ANYTHING to help.

We STRONGLY prefer permanent housing, or at the very least someone who is willing to rehome on their own time. Of course we will post on the website, but this bun should not come back to MHRR, at least for a long time- we are absolutely swamped. By this I simply mean a "permanent foster," if you will- the bunny will stay until a home is found. As far as spay/neuter costs, I do not know how Wendy wants to work it out, so simply email her, or myself if you feel uncomfortable directly contacting her.

The rabbits are not in danger of euthanization, as MHRR is a no-kill organization. The only reason these 9 rabbits were pulled were because we thought that they would be taken off of our hands, but there were miscommunications and we are simply not sure how we're going to care for this many at a time. Adoptions are low and our numbers are high.

We have received $125 for the spay/neuter bill so far, and I heard that one had 4 babies last night.

I have not heard this directly from Wendy, however, and will post more upon responses.

Update: we have raised enough $ for a spay, but still need homes/fostering.

Thoughts and outreach hugs for more good homes and foster homes to step forth --

Good to see the HRS grant money came through, and I'm sure that will likewise go fast when you're swamped and have a wait list.

The overpopulation scenarios are so sad for all the innocent lives. "All of the females are pregnant." :(

I'll watch for updates. Please understand that our rescue pockets are maxed out too with financial responsibilities. MHRR will need support from anyone who can lend their efforts, time, or a few dollars to the work they do.

Yes unfortunately. The woman actually kept five rabbits, so I'm sure we'll be getting a few after she surrenders these, too.

I guess it's better than letting them suffer in their conditions longer. I actually pity hoarders- they're mentally ill.

Latest posts

Back