EMERGENCY!!! Rabbit paralyzed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try starting with once a day and see how much ithelps, then you can give it more often. The frequency in thecalculator says "as needed" but I'd start with once a day and then trytwice a day.

Usually decreasing the pain helps to encourage him to eat and take care of himself more.

Holy crap, you guys. It's broke.

When I picked him up this am to "pee him" over the potty, I jushappened to put my hand on the right place, and not only did I feel thebones move, I heard them grind together. I almost threw up. I amsitting here crying cause I don't know how to take care of him longterm. I've never dealt with this before. What if he gets an infection?I don't know how I would even know. Is he in pain? Will he be on painmeds the rest of his life? I thought that an animal that breaks it'sback always dies. Is this not true, or should I be bracing myself rightnow?

I was talking to my husband last night, and he said he couldprobably design him a cart, if it came to that. It wouold be a heck ofa lot cheaper than even buying a used one, that's for sure. I think wewill probably use the pics of the one on that thread you guys gave mefor an example.
I am feeling so overwhelmed right now.

His name is Courage.

Oh no! I'm so sorry.

Broken backs don't always mean death, even broken necksdon't. You see humans all the time who live on with brokenbacks and necks, they even play on an international rugby team (goodmovie!). A guy in my school became quadriplegic after hisneck was broken in a car accident. He could sometimes movehis fingers. Last I heard he was in college. PlusI've heard of other rabbits with broken backs who live on and arehappy, spunky little things.

Anyway, I really recommend joining a group for disabledrabbits. I think there's a specific one on Yahoo Groups, andEtherbun could give some good advice as well. If you talk topeople who are dealing/have dealt with the same thing, you'll know howto look for infections, how to keep him comfortable, how to tell ifhe's enjoying life, etc.

What a beautiful name. It brought tears to my eyes.

:hug2

I lost him last night.
I want to say thank you so much to everyone who helped, whether withlinks to info, or just supporting me through this. I am going to puthim in a nice grassy spot under some trees in my backyard, beside acouple of other bunnies I have lost in the past.

BTW, Sunnybunny, I had asked my vet if it would be possible to make payments. They said no.

Oh my god, I am tearing up at my desk rightnow. That is just awful, I am so sorry you had and he had togo through such a horrible ordeal. I don't know what the heckI would do in that situation. Again, I am soooooosorry. :cry2

:bigtears:I'm so sorry.

I really don't think there was anything the vet could havedone. You would have discovered the break sooner,but there wouldn't have been any treatment other than what you werealready doing.

Badday for bunnies with the loss of Aurora's foster, but theodds were stacked so much against both,there was never morethan a sliver of hope.Providing that kind ofcomfortknowing the personal pain that's mostlikelyat the end of that road takes a special person witheven morecourage. Thanks for trying andfor lessening his pain and suffering.

:rip:Courage

sas :sad:and the bunnies :bunny5::bunny5::bunny5::bunny5::bunny5:

Oh I am so sorry that he died! Even if you didfind out sooner, you probobaly wouldn't have been able too do anything.You were a good owner too him.

I'm so sorry, gentlegiants. :cry1:This has been a bad week for bunnies.You did a great job and I'm sure Courage was happy to have been withyou for the time he was.

Binky free, Courage:purplepansy:

And I hope you feel better soon, gentle giants.:bouquet:

I'm amazed and overwhelmed by the lovely support of this website.:hug:

lalena and Drizzle:bunny5:

Latest posts

Back