EMERGENCY - RABBIT ATE BABY ASPIRIN?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrix

Reaction score
My 1 year old lionhead/Holland lop 6ish LB rabbit ate an 81mg coated baby aspirin. His vet can’t see him today because there are other emergencies. Poison control ASCPCA said to monitor him closely. But I’m reading online I could give him charcoal pills??? He’s acting fine now but it was only an hour ago and I don’t have the money to get to another farther vet and spend hundreds for a walk in. I will do it if necessary but I would really like to avoid it. Help please

Well, Medirabbit says normal dose would be 10-100mg/kg, on some occasions up to 400mg/kg.
That pill should be quite in the range of a safe dose.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm
I would entice him to eat hay or whatever good staple food he's used to, make sure that he has fresh water, and try to not make him nervous by prodding at him or giving him more stuff he isn't used to.

As long as your rabbit doesn't have a preexisting stomach ulcer or any bleeding issues, one baby aspirin shouldn't cause a problem. In fact I've on occasion, given one to a rabbit for temporary pain control. As long as your rabbit continues to act and eat normally, it's something I wouldn't be overly concerned about. But if you're still concerned, then do talk to your rabbit vet if you feel you need to.

Latest posts

Back