emergency!!!!! please read!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
I hope I can describe this correctly and that someone may know what is wrong! We have 3 two month old bunnies who have been totally healthy and active so far. I just went out to put them in their run for a few hours and noticed a big bulge on 1 of the babies chest. Upon closer inspection I saw that he has a hole in his chest about the size of a pea with something brown peeking out of it. I know this sounds strange, but that is exactly what it looks like! I take them out to play every day and did not notice this yesterday. The hole looks perfectly round, not like a bite or injury and it is not bleeding. He acts fine, is eating and moving around normally. I have no idea what to do. Since it's Sunday, no vets are in. Can somebody please help? I don't know what to do!

That sounds like a gunshot wound from the tvshows I have watched. Is there any way someone might have shot him witha BB gun while he was outside?

Get the rabbit to the vet ASAP. I don't knowwhat it is but it could be a number of things and that could getinfected and it could die.

P.S.- Do you not have any emergency vets in the area?

Hi Stef

All vets have any emergency number to call. Please call that number and get your bunny to the emercency doc soon.

Rabbits can go downhill very fast.

Question: Does the brown thing move ? Does it look like a maggot ???

There are good reasons why Im asking

No, I am outside the whole time they are. I justlooked at again and it almost looks like the brown thing is moving. I'mnot sure if it's moving or just looks like it is from the rabbitmoving. Also, I just saw a little white colored bubble on the hole.This is so weird. I don't know what to do.

You have a Botfly larvae in there...get him/herto a Vet, to have it removed! I just removed one from a"newbie", last week. It's a tricky thing to do and notadvised as the larvae can break inside the hole & you canliterally poison your rabbit with its toxins. Inside thathole, the larvae is eating your rabbit and causing infection and, inthe long run, an abcess. It is painful for the bun!It should be lanced....cut out. So, get that bun to a Vet,ASAP. Keep feeling the other 2 buns for lumps.Charlotte

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26354--,00.html

Oh gosh, that is it. One of the pics from one ofthe links look very similar. I keep very much on top of fly control. Mykids showed them in the youth fair last week. I wonder if that's wherehe got it? I called the local vet offices and none of them have anafter hours number. I read Buck's thread about it and one ofthe suggestions was to put vaseline on the hole and wait for it to comeup for air. We are going to try this. I hope it's not too late. Thankseveryone for your help! Wish us luck.

Please keep us updated on how it goes Stef !!

Since i read about this, I now use vanilla essence in my girls water.They love it and it also helps to deter the flys (they have the smellaparantly)

Finger crossed for you

Vanilla only keeps flies from laying eggs in the poop which can be dangerous if your rabbit sits on it or has a poopy butt.

This happened on the chest, so vanilla wouldn't have helped.

I think I remember Pam saying that vanilla does not deter Bot Flies.

Stef, I'm so sorry this is happening. Just make sure youcheck them all over good for any signs, especially theirbacksides.

Laura

You're most definitely in my thoughts andprayers, stef. Maggot infestation is life threatening and should bedealt with as an emergency with the vet. By the time they are visualwithout a magnifying glass, a lot of damage has already been done.

Good for you in looking up Buck's post. Much like Buck's suggestion,you can treat with hydrogen peroxide and a cotton ball. The maggotsdon't like it and will come to the opening. The nasty part is take apair of tweezers and pick the maggots out of the wound and of yourrabbit.

Would get to a vet asap, as suggested, and of course, carefully examinethe rest of your herd...with magnifying glasses if have to. Be vigilantin looking for areas that harbor a cut or moist area.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Well, we just did it. I have a feeling it won'tturn out good. The thing was huge, an inch long and fat. My husband gotit out successfully and put peroxide on the wound. But I'm thinkingthat a wound that big is not going to be good. Is thereanything else we should do to the wound besides continuing to putperoxide on it? I'll keep you all updated. Again, thanks somuch for your help.

I forgot to mention, the bunny seems perfectly fine. So maybe there was no damage done to him. Just have to keep infection away.

Latest posts

Back