EMERGENCY -Please Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

squidpop

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2013
Messages
787
Reaction score
100
Location
NULL
UPDATE: We just got back from the vet. They said it was healing crooked so they took the splint off and she just has it bandaged. She should be able to bend her leg. The buyer is getting a little impatient, they want to pick her up as soon as possible. I'm not sure what to tell them and I'm not sure if she's going to make a full recovery :( has anyone experienced this? will it heal?

Did the vet seem confident that it would heal ok just bandaged?
Do you know what the bones looked like on the xray? If the bones are touching they will probably mend if the bunny is kept still and quiet, because its young and bones still growing mend quickly. But if the bones are broken completely apart, not touching they might not mend.
 
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
724
Location
Texas
Did the vet tell you to restrict her movement while it was healing? I would want to see the original x-Ray and a current x-Ray to see what they're talking about. Keep the buyer updated, too. I would think it depends on how crooked it is as to how functional her leg will be. We've had two rabbits break bones, one was a leg and one was the ankle. Both got around fine after healing, but each case is different.
 

iLuvMyLilBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
773
Reaction score
75
Location
MN, Minnesota, USA
the vet did say to have her confined in a small cage but I had her in a roomy hutch with her sister and I've let her out before and she can run/hop really fast. I'm assuming the reason it's healing crooked is because she wasn't confined so I'm confining her now to the hutch. I've spent a lot of time and money on her and I feel like if I just sell her I won't know if they will continue with the care or if it will fully heal. I'm selling all of my rabbits (I originally had over 10 that I showed) I'm just keeping one to have inside and I may get him a friend in the future to bond with him but I'm currently a senior in high school and have to focus more on my education.

I'm down to 3 now so I'm not as overwhelmed and I do have the space and time for her right now but I don't want to disappoint the buyer and make them wait longer. ugh. I plan on calling and asking to speak with the vet. what are some good things to ask her? and should I let the buyers take her or would it be better for me to keep her until she fully recovers?
The last thing the buyers asked were if she will fully recover and when they can pick her up. I'm waiting to speak to the vet before I let them know because I don't know if it will heal at this point.
Thanks everyone for all the input and advice :D
 

squidpop

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2013
Messages
787
Reaction score
100
Location
NULL
I think maybe you should restrict her movement even more by confining to a small space like a cat carrier. I know it seems kind of cruel to confine her to a small space but if she is able to hop around she could re-injure it.

When I had a puppy with a broken leg I let her outside to pee and play wearing her cast and when I brought her back to the vet for a follow up check-up he saw grass stains on her cast and he was very disappointed with me. He was upset that I didn't keep her in her carrier the whole time, I didn't realise she wasn't supposed to walk around or play at all. So I think if when a vet says confinement they mean to a small space, and no running, no jumping.
 
Top