EMERGENCY -Please Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
724
Location
Texas
I'm bringing her to the vet on Monday and I'll have them do an x-ray. I'm leaning towards amputation right now but I'll see what other options they have.

You mentioned you have a buyer. Was the rabbit being sold for pet or for show? It can make a difference what you do. I would go ahead and tell the buyer what's happened and get their feedback, too.
 

lovelops

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
369
Location
Clinton MD near Washington DC
Bunnies are fine with 3 legs and they can be casted or splinted is what I have been told by my vet. Keep calling until you get someone vet savy and she should be ok until then.

Get pain meds for her in the meantime and keep her confined..


Good luck

Vanessa
 

lovelops

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
369
Location
Clinton MD near Washington DC
wait and see what they say. Some of these can be saved and the foot healed if you got a good vet that will work with you. I 've seen other cases.


Vanessa
 

HiddlesKenway

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2013
Messages
196
Reaction score
46
I'm one of those three legged rabbit owners and my Dwarf Lop buck adapted straight away, it took him a couple weeks to figure out he could thump still with only one back leg. He jumps higher then before and his quality of life hasn't gone anywhere. His surgery cost $350AU but my vet studied rabbits in England for 30 years. So he's very savvy don't trust my pets from guinea pigs to horses at any other vet practice.

His break was full joint dislocations meaning casting and splinting would result in an inanimate foot with no movement from that joint which just wasn't an option.
 

iLuvMyLilBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
773
Reaction score
75
Location
MN, Minnesota, USA
Wow! That's great that your bun is living such a great life :) The vet said he could amputate her leg for a little over $100 which I think is pretty cheap & I'm not sure if I should trust him because he isn't very rabbit savvy.
 

iLuvMyLilBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
773
Reaction score
75
Location
MN, Minnesota, USA
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405370502.095763.jpg

update! I went to the vet and they did an x-ray and put a splint on her and we got metacam :) I'm so happy! it only cost $229. It's going to take her awhile to adjust but she's still the same sweet bunny! Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to contact the buyer today but I'm not sure what to say because the vet wants to see her again in 2 weeks and I'm not sure if I should sell her...
 

Devi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
176
Reaction score
24
Location
campbell river, BC
I wouldn't sell her as long as she requires vet care. If the current buyer is willing to wait till she is fully healthy once more then fine if not at least you did the proper thing and informed them of the situation and let them decide.
 

iLuvMyLilBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
773
Reaction score
75
Location
MN, Minnesota, USA
Also, I put her back with her sister and they've both perked up (they were a little depressed being separated) Is this a bad idea having them together?
 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
11,940
Reaction score
7,830
Location
Utah, , USA
That's wonderful to hear they could splint it and that she is doing well. That's why a good rabbit vet is important. They have the experience to know there may be a better option.

I think putting them together is actually a good idea. The leg is splinted so no reason to have to restrict her movement, and being with her sister may actually help her cope better and keep up her appetite, but still keep a close eye on her eating and drinking.

Well done! I hope the leg heals well and that she'll be bouncing around again soon :)
 

Azerane

Mod at Large
Joined
Jun 9, 2011
Messages
3,923
Reaction score
799
Location
Australia
Bless her little heart, the cast is so big :D

I would agree with holding off on selling her. Inform the buyer what's going on, and tell them they're more than welcome to still have her providing all is well at the check up in two weeks time :)
 

lovelops

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
369
Location
Clinton MD near Washington DC
I'm so so happy to hear all is well! See, she is splinted and doing fine! No amputation! Praise God!!! :)

I would keep her with her sister if she is doing better and hold off on selling. I would make certain all is well and perhaps talk to the buyer about
getting her sister as well since it appears they are bonded! It might help her tons with healing !

Vanessa
 

iLuvMyLilBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
773
Reaction score
75
Location
MN, Minnesota, USA
I named her Meadow and her sister is already going to a different family. The buyer already has a bunny they want to bond meadow to. I talked to them and they understand the situation, that she will need extra care, and vet visits. They still want her. I'm thinking of telling them I should keep her at least a week, maybe two to make sure she's adjusting well to the splint and that everything. What do you guys think?
 

iLuvMyLilBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
773
Reaction score
75
Location
MN, Minnesota, USA
They would also be bringing her to a different vet for the check up and to have the splint removed so I'm thinking the vet I went to could fax the records over to them ?
 
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
724
Location
Texas
If you can, I would keep her at least until the next vet visit. At that time you could get a copy of the x-ray to give to them, since that's all the new vet really needs to continue her care.
 

NorthernAutumn

Autumn - Administrator
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
5,244
Reaction score
117
Location
London / North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Keep an eye on that splint, and beware of any damage/pressure it may be putting on the toes or the knee joint. When do you change the splint next? If it wearing on any bit of her skin, pack it with extra loose hair from the other rabbits to cushion.

I'd suggest you keep her until she is fully healed, under the care of your vet. No guarantees that the new family would follow through with medical treatment (but you know you will). This will give her the best start possible. If the new family is responsible, they would likely agree to that.
 

iLuvMyLilBuns

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
773
Reaction score
75
Location
MN, Minnesota, USA
UPDATE: We just got back from the vet. They said it was healing crooked so they took the splint off and she just has it bandaged. She should be able to bend her leg. The buyer is getting a little impatient, they want to pick her up as soon as possible. I'm not sure what to tell them and I'm not sure if she's going to make a full recovery :( has anyone experienced this? will it heal?
 

TopDoll

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
82
Reaction score
13
Location
WV, USA
I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge of broken/injured legs to help you with, but I personally wouldn't give her to the new owners yet. I'm not even sure I understand why they would be so eager to pick her up, she is still injured and needs time to recuperate. New places & owners can always stress a bunny out, which she definitely doesn't need right now, and she already has a good vet to go to so why interrupt that now when she isn't healed yet? I think it's best health-wise that she stay with you until she is better. But it's your call of course. I hope someone can offer you advice about her leg..
 

Latest posts

Top