Emergency! Need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southshore

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new here. My rabbit has been losing weight and I got his stool DR done and found out he has worms, specifically DIPYLIDUM. Kindly let me know which dewormer will be most effective for this type of worm. I will appreciate highly your IMG-20200407-WA0098.jpegopinion in this regard. Thank you.

What medicine did your vet give you? MediRabbit says (MediRabbit) that you can treat tapeworms with Praziquantel and Niclosamide. Please seek a vets advice if you have not yet.

The problem is there aren't any rabbit savvy vets here. Can you please ask a vet for me. Can anyone ask their rabbit vet what to give?

At a vet lab that treats cats and dogs. You can see in the picture that there is a pre printed column with values for cats and dogs only

What medicine do they have to treat dogs and cats with tapeworms? It might be safe for rabbits and they might be able to give it to the rabbit.

At a vet lab that treats cats and dogs. You can see in the picture that there is a pre printed column with values for cats and dogs only
Hi, I have no personal experience with tapeworms (dipylidium) but we had topic on them just a few weeks ago, please see post quoted and full tread in my link, hope it helps a bit, maybe you can get Revolution from your vet, I think doses could be smaller for a rabbit but maybe same as for kittens, hopefully you will get more opinions on this thread
One thing that works for parasites is diatomaceous earth. It is a flour like substance, so you have to be careful with it because if your rabbit breaths it in, it can irritate the lungs. I have used it with success before. I coated the pellets with it, and then shook the dust off and let the pellets sit in the bowl for awhile before giving them to my rabbits. It kills parasites, but it is a little slower kill method. It might take 3 months to completely rid a rabbit of intestinal parasites. You might be able to find this product in a farm and garden store, or you can buy it online. I comes in food grade and is sometimes added to food in 3rd world countries where intestinal worms are a problem. I sprinkle some on the floor in my basement and it kills crickets and ants. It is non-toxic, so if your dog or cat eats it, they will be fine.

A better solution, but more expensive is Revolution. You would have to buy that from a vet. It works like Advantage for dogs and cats, but I don't think that Advantage is not safe for rabbits. It controls fleas and internal parasites.

You could also just call the vet back that you took your rabbit to. Tell the vet that your rabbit still has a problem, and ask if you could just deworm her just in case. There are my different kinds of tapeworms and I am sure they don't all look alike. Tapeworms are also pretty rare in rabbits and your vet has probably not seen them in a rabbit before, and it is not known for sure what this is. But since the problem is still there and the problem at least acts parasites, the safe thing to do is treat your rabbit for parasites. Your rabbit should not need to see the vet again, and your vet can just prescribe the medication.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/help-rabbit-has-white-eggs-on-his-feces.96899/page-2

Thank you for taking out the time to go through and respond to.my message. I appreciate that very much indeed!

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/safe_antiworms.htmI found this site it says Prazequantel should be used for rabbits with tapeworms.

https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/06/09/medicinal-herbs-for-rabbits/amp/
Another website for holistic medicine says I should give grapefruit seed extract along with pumpkin seeds. Recommends dosage for the extract but none for pumpkin seeds.

So what's your opinion on the extract water + pumpkin seeds and the allopathic Prazequnatel?

I would do the extract water and sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds on his hay. If he is not better after 2 weeks I would get the Praziquantel.

The weight has dropped to 2.7 kg. How many pumpkin seeds should I gave in a day? What type of worm have you had success with, with pumpkin seeds

I haven't had to deal with worms before, but I would do a tbs of pumpkin seeds per day.

Latest posts

Back