Emegency!! My rabbits ate a bit of Castor leaf

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Sky

Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2019
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
India
Guys, please help. My 2 rabbits of 1yr age ate a bit of castor leaf (about 2 leaf-divisions/ leaflets). Leaf is yellow in colour. My sister picked up the unique looking leaf not knowing it was a castor leaf and brought in the house but the rabbits reached for it when we were not looking. Then my mom recognized the leaf. Its been 30 mins since they ate it. Right now they arent showing any unusual behaviour. Its almost 12 AM now and no vets are open.

Im so worried right now. How dangerous it is for them? What signs and symptoms should I be looking for and at what point of time? And is there anything I can do to help the situation?
 

Niomi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
502
Reaction score
252
Location
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
I googled it and Yes, they are poisonous. Call a vet, and get some help. I have no experience, but I looked them up, Colorado State University Guide to Poisonous Plants. Rabbits can't vomit. I know that if you give rabbits mineral oil, it coats their digestive tract and nutrients might not get absorbed through the system. I don't know if that would stop poison from being absorbed. Your rabbit will also get diarrhea from the oil. That is what I would try if I could not get medical advice. You need an emergency vet. Call one asap.
 

Latest posts

Top