Elop with a bum knee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littl3red

Ashtin - Member
Reaction score
Before anyone criticizes, I know it's soon, and it feels soon, but these circumstances are a little dire. I work as a vet tech now, and another one of the vet techs and his brother breed rabbits. Well, his brother has this english lop that's about 1 year old, but she has a luxating patella and she's cow hocked. So basically she can't be shown, and the luxating patella is genetic, so she can't be bred either, but other than that she's a functional rabbit. But they were going to cull her because she's not "useful." :pssd:

Another one of the vet techs saw her and fell in love, but ended up not being able to take her because of lack of space/possibility of becoming rottweiler food, so basically they're waiting to see if I want her or not. I do want to take her, because Maya is lonely and she seems like she needs a good loving home, but I don't know anything about elops, or luxating patellas. Anyone have experience with either one of these? Any special care? I do know elops are more prone to ear infections because of their big ears dragging on the ground all the time. Would the ears prevent her from being able to jump up the levels in the NIC cage? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but picturing it in my mind, it's a little awkward...

I know there are a couple people that do, but I don't know how often they are on here. I would think with a leg problem, that you probably would want to keep her in a single story cage or pen, as the jumping up and down levels would seem to me to be hard on the damaged knee.

I'm not sure about the dragging ears but agree if she really has knee problems then keeping her in a 1 story house would be best. I haven't ever heard of a luxating patella problem in rabbits. I had a French lop before and I asked her about ear infections but she said she doesn't have a problem with them. She always just told me to look on the inside of the ear every once in awhile and just make sure it's clean.

Don't feel bad about it being "too soon." I think getting someone new to shower with love is a great way to get for the grief for lots of people and bunnies (coming from someone who recently lost a bun, adopted a pair the next weekend, lost one of them 2 months later, adopted another less than a week later).

I'd agree that you might want to limit jumping for a rabbit with luxating patellas. I haven't had an e lop before although they sure are gorgeous rabbits.

Do you think it would work to have everything she needs on the bottom floor but still having higher shelves? My goal is to bond her and Maya and the cage I have currently has three floors. Or Maybe put in ramps for easier access? Maya just really likes the levels and I'd hate to break them down. What I'm thinking is I might break down the top two stories, and give them two taller stories instead of three short ones (since elops are bigger) and then putting in a ramp for easy access for the new bun. And of course, separating the two until they are bonded.

I think it would be a great think for you to do to take her in! Obviously if you have the time to give her a great life she deserves it.. It is so frustraiting that just beacause she is special needs she is not worth anything anymore... Thank god she has someone in her life to see her beauty and take her in and if anybody thinks thats too soon than so be it...

Ramps sound like they might work ok. I guess it just depends on how bad it's problem is. I suppose if it's leg problems are too bad, then it just won't go up to the other level.

Latest posts

Back