Elderly Cat Question Post Op

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
My 10 year old rescue cat Kobe went in Monday to have his two bottom "pointy teeth" as my son calls 'em removed. At his previous home his jaw had been broken and they were actually growing up into his upper palate and affecting his ability to eat.

When I brought him home Monday evening he slept like the dead till Tuesday night. He was still groggy and shaky, so I called the vets office Weds, they said it was the pain meds, and to go ahead and give him his last dose and see how he does.

Thursday he is a bit better, but he doesn't hardly eat, or get off my bed, and when he does, he crouch walks like he's sneaking, but his head shakes like he's drunk. I can say his name, and he looks in the complete opposite direction of where my voice is coming from. He's also extremely loving now, whereas before he was a total jerk, and a loner.

I called Thursday afternoon, and the vet said "He's old, it takes their body longer to process the anesthesia, he's fine, plus he's had kidney issues before, so he definitely isn't as quick in the processing department"

I asked my friend Terry, and she said older animals are just like that, as she has several older dogs..

So you know I didn't take my vet nor my friends word for it, and called Russell my estranged husband in Australia, the vet, and he basically said the exact same thing my vet said.

So my question is..have any of ya'll had an elderly cat that 5 days post op he is still disoriented and stuff?

He laid on my chest tonight, and he was shaking his head, trying to get his balance, and he reminded me of my cousin Barbara who got to much oxygen at birth and moves like that, and I started to cry a bit, because I would feel horrible if I took him in to relieve him of some discomfort, just to turn him into a vegetable cat..

Anybody?

:wave:

I don't consider 10 to be elderly, my cats were 20 and 21 when I lost them both last year -- the mom to a bunch of old age problems (including a faily common high-blood-pressure-related sudden blindness syndrome), the daughter to complications from a retaliatory attack from a raccoon she hissed at.

Both had late-in-life procedures, and I think they were slow to recover, but I don't recall any headshaking or serious disorientation, just fuzzy brained and very slow to get their appetites and activity levels back.

But neither had dental surgery, so that may well be the difference.

I think you've got to give it a good 10 days to two weeks to gage the recovery.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

sas :clover:

Sas-

Thank you!

He seems to be doing so much better today, he has regained most of his former abilities, but he is still a lovebug. Maybe he was grumpy all these years because of his teeth!
He is just a little unsteady now, but eating and stuff..

I worry too much..

Z

I can relate a bit now, Zin.
Suki just had her teeth out on Friday (6 total, total right side molars are gone :()

She is 8 going on 9, and it was only yesterday that she started to perk up a bit. Been really dopey and weirdly affectionate the last few days (she usually has such a charming personality :p LOL!... sounds like your guy)

How long did it take your old boy to start eating hard food? Has he even started on it yet?
Su's still got her incisors, canines and left side, but I don't think she's actually consuming any hard stuff yet... just kind of mouths it, spits it out, and gives me a glare ;)

It sounds like an extremely slow recovery from the anesthetic, if he's still groggy the next day you should be taking him back to the vet, pain meds should not be affecting his balance and hearing. A 5-day recovery is waaay too long for this to be going on, I highly reccommend to take him back to the vet ASAP. Better to be paranoid about it, I think.

Autumn.. we give him nothing but soft food mostly because his bladder shut down a few months back.. so he has to have special food for his type of bladder crystals..

He seems to be just fine now.. im just paranoid..

Violet.. thank you for your input...I value it!

Latest posts

Back