Edgar wont eat his hay and pellets please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erika Lower

Reaction score
My rabbit, Edgar, is a dwarf lionhead who is 4 years old. He has stopped eating his hay and pellets which is unusual because he goes crazy for them. He does still eat kale and treats. I called the vet and they said to not feed him any kale and he should eat the hay and pellets. It’s been two days since I have given him kale and he will only eat tiny bits of hay and pellets. I will put the hay in my hand and he will eat a couple pieces, but no pellets which is super odd. He still runs around and plays with the cat and acts normal other than his diet. He is still going to the bathroom so he has to be eating but it’s just not enough.

Attachments

• 506D8512-DFBB-4FF5-B18F-FF0DD1B58CEE.jpeg
    506D8512-DFBB-4FF5-B18F-FF0DD1B58CEE.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
If he'll eat the kale, then let him eat it and find a rabbit savvy vet (not the one who advised you) to check out his teeth. If a rabbit suddenly stops eating one part of his normal diet, then it could very well be something dental that is causing pain when he tries to eat that particular food. The fact that he tries to nibble it but then stops, seems to support this. He want to eat but the grinding motion of the jaw that is required to eat hay may be causing him pain. His jaw works differently when eating greens.

You don't want him starving, so if he can't eat the hay or pellets, let him eat the greens. I'm glad he's still going potty.

A visual inspection of the teeth by a rabbit savvy vet may be enough to see the problem but it may also require x-rays.

Update: he just started eating again! I think he was just having a couple of off days
I would still go see a rabbit saavy vet. They will do a full examination. I rabbit will not take a few days off from eating. Your rabbit maybe suffering from dental issues.

Latest posts

Back