Ebony is barely eating, back to vets 2mrw :0(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late last nightI noticed Ebony (my 2kgMini-Lop) seemed lethargic and uninterested in her surroundings - not normal at all for her. She nibbled a tiny amount of hay and drank a little water but ignored her night-timepellets.

Little had changed this morning except she seemed to have drunk nothing. The pellets and sensible cereal treat were all in the same position in her bowl as last night. She wasa little more lively when let out, but mainly wanted to sit around.

So we went to the vets this morning. Her ears and eyes looked ok even tho she has been scratching the outside of her ears and has taken a bit of fur off the outside of them. Her scent glands were smelly but didn't appear to be blocked. Her toilet exits were clear also.

When the vet felt Ebony's stomach area she said it was soft but empty. While it was a relief to hear she wasn't in stasis at that point, I know she could end up in it if she diesn't eat proerly very soon :(

After checking her teeth, the vet said there were somesmall sharp points but they shouldn't be causing a problem, however she didn't want to say that they definitley were not.

After Ebony had beeninjected with a painkiller, Maxalon syrup to get her gut moving and (reluctantly) swallowing a mouthful of FibrePlex probiotic paste, the vet told me to syringe feed some pureed food, give Fibreplex this evening and bring her back 2mrw if no improvement and she would reassess the need to check/file Ebony's teeth under anaesthetic.

Ebony has started moulting in the last 10 days or so. She has the same diet as Guy rabbit and he is fine.

Not sure about her unrination now but there is no freshbunny poop around.

Ebony's not herself and as we don't even know what the underlying problem is, I'm worried.

Jo x

It sounds like the vet has given you some good advice. You can also add dioralyte or an equivalent infant rehydration mix to her area in a separate bowl to encourage her to drink more and get more hydrated. You can also give some simethicone and do gentle belly massages.

tonyshuman wrote:
It sounds like the vet has given you some good advice. You can also add dioralyte or an equivalent infant rehydration mix to her area in a separate bowl to encourage her to drink more and get more hydrated. You can also give some simethicone and do gentle belly massages.
I agree that some extra hydration is a good idea. Personally, I have found that administering sub-q fluids when eating slows during a heavy shed to be very beneficial. Pain meds are very important, too (especially if the small points on Ebony's teeth really are bothering her).

Re: the small sharp point on Ebony's teeth - you may speak to your vet more about having these removed. Some rabbits (my Fuzz is one of them) are very sensitive to even the smallest spur.

If fresh foods are part of Ebony's normal diet, you may try to offer her some nice fresh herbs (or her favourite green). I have found that my rabbits will often eat fragrant fresh herbs or their favourite green (kale, dandelion) before hay or their pelleted foods.

Good luck. I hope Ebony feels better soon.

Thank you for the advice and well wishes for Ebony, bunny friends.

Although she perked up after the vets visit yesterday (altho not eating anything extra) this morning she was back down again - didn't want to move, not eating and barely drinking.

The vet informed me that a) Ebony had lost 100g in weight overnight :(b)She was not convinced the teeth were the "whole story" but they wre usually the first point of investigation for ill rabbitsand was honest that Ebony might not get through the anaesthetic because she is a very sick bunny.

It was a relief to have a phone call from the vet about 15 mins ago, confirming that Ebony had come through the dental surgery fine. There were some smallspurs at the back and some slight ulceration at the back of her mouth too. They have made sure she is fully hydrated with sub-q fluids and also given her pain relief, anti-biotics, Maxalon syrup and critical care feed. Ebony will remain at the vets until after 6pm on their recommendation.

If she has not recovered her appetite by the weekend she mau have to be hospitalised and have tests.

Hoping for the best :pray:

Jo xx

This morning there was some semi-solid bunny poop in Ebony's cage and along with hay, she's been having a little nibble at her regular pellets. Thus,she won't be rushed back to the vet this morning but I'd like her to have eaten a more noticeable amount of solid food by this afternoon.

Jo x

Latest posts

Back