Eating standard poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowsMum

Reaction score
Hey All,

I’ll start with saying I was a moron when I got my baby Mellow (free roam house bun)

I was uneducated and inexperienced in the world of buns.

I got Mellow from a pet shop, we brought everything they advised.

We struggled with her when we first her. She would not be picked up and was very spicy.

She developed a habit of eating all her poops when we first got her. They were very small poops and her little tray needed very little cleaning due to this.

She’s love her greens, nugs and the occasional treat, she started doing more poops but kept eating them all.

It took me a week to realise they had been feeding her bedding hay at the pet store. We brought the same stuff to feed her with.

I took her to the vet and found out she was under weight and was basically malnourished.

I was absolutely disgusted with myself that I was so blind.

I immediately got her on to premium Timothy Hay. Her weight went up, she stopped eating normal poops and all was well.

That was about 2 years ago.

For no reason I can understand she’s starting eating her normal poops again.

There are plenty still to clean up but I’ll watch her - she will poop out 5/6 normal poops then turn and eat them all. This happens a few times a day.

Nothing has changed since recently.

Has anyone experienced this?

Have you double checked to ensure she's still eating the same amount of hay, and that hay consumption hasn't reduced at all? Reduced fiber from not eating enough hay would be the most obvious cause. Is the hay a new bag, and if so is it a similar quality to the previous hay, or is it softer or more coarse than her usual hay? No changes in foods, litter box, or her environment at all?

Latest posts

Back