Eating Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Eco-straw made by Oxbow. It doesn't hurt them if they eat it. I recommend using that. :)

Or do what Brandy said ^^^ using covers. :)

No, I have to get it from my vet office. you may have to call your vet or call around. My vet carries all Oxbow products for rabbits.

I've looked at Petsmart too. I'm hoping someday they'll have it.

I use wood pellet bedding ( I think the brand I use is ABM). It is safe if eaten and cheaper than Yesterday's News of the Oxbow stuff (I paid about $6.50 for a 35 pound bag). You can buy it at farm supply or feed stores if you have those in your area.

You can use a plastic stitching screen to cover the litter. Most craft stores have them and I have seen them at Walmart and dollar stores.
Wire grids can work if your bunny is a big chewer. I have even used wire cooling racks made for when you are baking.

I just looked at the bag. It's a 20 lb. bag and I think I pay $ 17-$18 for it. Probably expensive to some people but I don't mind. It's safe for my buns and I like it.

The exact same thing happened to me years agoand it caused some minor problems
I had a bonded pair who were having very dried out stringy poops despite everything i did to hydrate them.

I could not figure it out . One time I took a poop apart to see what it was like and it fell apart like paper. i watched both of them one day and noticed they were busily eating the carefresh .

i switched to yesterdays news only to find that apparently because they look like pellets they also began to eat them.
I would switch to aspen chips .

When I switched litters the problem resolved immediately .

eating carefresh is not good for them ..like putting too much toliet paper in a toliet LOL; eventually it will cause a blockage...

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I use wood pellet bedding ( I think the brand I use is ABM). It is safe if eaten and cheaper than Yesterday's News of the Oxbow stuff (I paid about $6.50 for a 35 pound bag). You can buy it at farm supply or feed stores if you have those in your area.

You can use a plastic stitching screen to cover the litter. Most craft stores have them and I have seen them at Walmart and dollar stores.
Wire grids can work if your bunny is a big chewer. I have even used wire cooling racks made for when you are baking.

ThIs is also an excellent and less expensive option

Just make sure that you don't get wood stove pellets with fuel in them

You can also make a grid for the box;I don't have the link rght now but a few of our forum members have made grids that sit on the litter and that works also...

Latest posts

Back