Eating, But Not Pooping After Neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingstar

Reaction score
Astro was neutered today, and he seems to be fine. He was fairly active when I brought him home, and he's been sleeping since. He eats whatever I put in front of him, and he's been drinking, too, but he STILL hasn't pooped. Twice now, I've seen him hop into the litterbox, and it looks like he's pooping, but nothing comes out. Is there anything I can do to help him? Should I keep giving him food as long as he eats it, or should I try to get him to eat more hay, instead?

(I'll taking him to the vet in the morning if he still hasn't pooped by then.)

How long has it been since his operation? Anesthetic is going to slow the gut down, so things may just be taking a while to go through. As for food, I would encourage him to eat more hay since the fiber is good for digestion. Best wishes for Astro, I hope he starts pooping again soon!

It's been more than ten hours, at least, since the surgery itself. I'm really worried. I had hoped that he would poop while I was asleep. In the last ten minutes that I've been awake, though, I've seen him hop into the litterbox three times, looking like he's trying to poop. From what I can see, he's been eating his hay since I fell asleep, even if only a little. He isn't refusing food, either. He still seems to have a big appetite. Hopefully, he'll poop in the next few hours, or I'll have to take him to the vet when it opens. Thank you so much for answering! 😖

He's FINALLY starting to poop. It's not much, but it looks normal, and it's SOMETHING, at least. 😁

Thank you, everyone. ☺️ It's not back to normal, but he's gradually pooping more and more, and he's drinking more water, too. He seems to be recovering well!

Glad he is on the road to recovery :) like I said before keep us updated and maybe post some pics...?

Latest posts

Back