EARTHLINGS (warning, graphic)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
http://www.earthlings.com/

hey guys, i thought we should just get some healthy discussion going on!

watching this video has completely changed my outlook on the animal industry and has urged me to become a lot more conscious of where my food/clothes/entertainment comes from.

What do you guys think?

just a quick warning - it's quite graphic. but i think it's very important.

P.S mods if you feel this incites too many arguments feel free to delete)

maxysmummy wrote:
http://www.earthlings.com/

hey guys, i thought we should just get some healthy discussion going on!

watching this video has completely changed my outlook on the animal industry and has urged me to become a lot more conscious of where my food/clothes/entertainment comes from.

What do you guys think?

just a quick warning - it's quite graphic. but i think it's very important.

P.S mods if you feel this incites too many arguments feel free to delete)

[align=center]I saw this a couple years ago, and I cried so hard.
I went vegetarian for a week... but my favorite food is the cheeseburger so it was way too hard for me D=
The saddest part IMO was the fox. D;

i think the point of the video should not be - CUT OUT ALL ANIMAL PRODUCTS ENTIRELY - just think about where it comes from.

i'm going to try and go semi-vegan. cut out all meat other than fish (i have an omega 3 deficiency) and be really selective of what animal products i use :)

maxysmummy wrote:
ps there are some really yummy meat substitutes you can try which i think are way yummier than meat :)

[align=center]I don't think I use any animal products.. =O
I have no idea...
And I tried to meat substitute and it was disgusting!
I got some nasty chunks of my vegetables or something in the burger I ate. It really grossed me out and I can't eat it anymore.
It's impossible for me to go vegetarian in my house anyways.
My mom is alway cooking meat and if I go vegetarian she won't buy me any vegan stuff probably (she didn't really besides nasty tofu when I went vegetarian the firrst time.) so I'll be stuck eating cereal/cookies, etc. if I do and that's soo unhealthy.
Maybe when I live on my own =O
Cause I love fish! (I would have to still be able to have fish but I gotta learn to cook it o_e

its not actually a matter of quitting eating meat....just make sure you purchase produce not from an unreliable source.

if everyone stopped buying meat from walmart...they would stop selling it, in turn the demand would go down for a lot of these.

we buy our meat from a family friend, grows their cattle on the land, unabused and unmedicated. a town butcher does the deed, which im sure is more humane in any case than what most do.

you can do same with pigs and sheep. fish is grown a lot of the same ways btw....huge tanks or caught inhumanely so not a whole lot better to go with fish and not other meats

and a lot of problem vegans and vegetarians face is the inability to get enough proteins and fats into their bodies to stay healthy and a lot of people just end up sick from not doin enough research on the subject.

ETA: watch this too. a good reason to know where your meat comes from.http://www.themeatrix.com/

And this is very illegal to do. The FDA comes to the slaughterhouses. They have to shot them once. They can get a big fine. The animals have to be feed and water, and taken care of. None can't be (sick, ill). And the way they are treating the dogs is animal cruelty, but that's over the country.

*My husband used to work in a ButcherHouse, He said that the FDA comes every kill day. And watch everyone. They can not shot them more then once. If they do they get a BIG fine. They have to be feed, and watered, And they can't come in sick and or Ill.

I can't watch this whole video, I am doing a lot of fast forwarding because it makes me too sick. I am sure however that a lot of this is not only exaggerated but probably even flat out lies. As mistyjr pointed out, doing things like this can get a slaughterhouse not only fined big time but shut down asap. I could see a couple of errors in the parts I watched, but I won't go into detail about that they were because it would involve a graphic description.

I will say that while I am not a vegetarian and I don't plan to be, I have changed a lot of my life because of worries about how food animals are treated. I have started raising my own food animals. While I hate having to end their lives, I still feel better knowing that the meat I am eating had a happy, natural life, rather than being kept in a tiny cage or little dry lot crammed in with hundreds of others. I know a lot of people can't do this for various reasons, but the number of small farms that raise beef, pork and chicken humanely are growing. I would suggest doing a internet search for local humane farms if you are looking for an alternative to factory farmed meat and can't or don't want to raise it yourself.

ETA: I am still going through and watching bits of the vid.. The part showing someone clubbing turkeys is false. As hard as it is to think about, you have to remember that the name of the game is efficiency. To kill them this way would take twice as much time and work as using humane methods.

What a horrible video...it's a shame that media like this is out there, falsely protraying world agriculture.

For accurate information about the agricultural industry in the United States, I'd suggest browsing the U.S. Department of Agriculture website as a starting point. There is a whole wealth of information there and many species also have their own national associations, like the ARBA for rabbits. So googling those is another great starting point as well. :)

Hi all, I moved this to Let Your Hare Down because it isn't really "Bunny Business". So far I think the insights presented have been good and are in keeping with our rules, although we are skirting some topics that could get out of hand. Just as a reminder to all who want to post here, please make sure your comments fall in with our Forum Decorum before you post. Thanks.:big wink:

I totally agree with Brenda - I think the answer here is to buy food that has been raised responsibly. Honestly, the produce industry isn't much better (watch "Food Inc" or "The Future of Food", both are really eye opening) - our entire agricultural system is set up to manufacture cheap food, not healthy or humanely raised food.

I know it's easier said than done. I live in a cold climate and if I only ate local veggies I wouldn't eat any for half of the year. Still, we can do our part and buy from farmer's markets when possible. I think locating a reliable source of meat is important too. Yes, it's more expensive, but maybe we'll eat less of it then - nothing wrong with a few vegetarian meals per week. More cities are opening these local butcher shops I think, and those who live in the country should have an easier time of it.

I think all of these issues are coming up more and more in the media and people are developing an awareness. I hope the local and humane food movements continue to grow!

Oh, and I didn't watch the video since I'm at work, but I'll watch later. Thanks for posting! This is an issue that I think is so important for people to think about (no matter which decision we all make for ourselves)

fuzz16 wrote:
and a lot of problem vegans and vegetarians face is the inability to get enough proteins and fats into their bodies to stay healthy and a lot of people just end up sick from not doin enough research on the subject.
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely not true. So many people (Americans, especially) have been brainwashed into believing that that we need tons and tons of protein, every meal, all the time, when we really don't.
The average adult needs about .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. So, for example, I am 155 lbs, therefore I only need about 56 grams of protein. This is VERY easy to get. (I limit soy and dairy, and still get plenty of protein.)

As far as fats, fat is everywhere. Plant-derived fats are much healthier for you than animal-derived fats, too. Nuts, seeds, oils, avocados, etc., are all healthy fats, and not difficult to obtain.

And honestly, someone who gets sick from improper nutrition on a vegetarian diet is likely to be malnourished eating meat, as well. If you eat REAL food (not prepackaged convenience junk) and pay a little bit of attention to what you're eating, you will get the nutrients you need.

I know someone who is raw vegan (no animal products, nothing cooked), and she easily gets more than enough protein and fat in her diet. There are vegan bodybuilders, UFC fighters, and triathletes, and they need far more protein than the average person- if they can do it, anyone can.

source

I'D 100% ADVOCATE ALSO WATCHING FOOD INC. such a fab docco and really does make you think about the food you eat (less graphic, less vegan inducing, lol)

fuzz16 wrote:
its not actually a matter of quitting eating meat....just make sure you purchase produce not from an unreliable source.

if everyone stopped buying meat from walmart...they would stop selling it, in turn the demand would go down for a lot of these.

we buy our meat from a family friend, grows their cattle on the land, unabused and unmedicated. a town butcher does the deed, which im sure is more humane in any case than what most do.

you can do same with pigs and sheep. fish is grown a lot of the same ways btw....huge tanks or caught inhumanely so not a whole lot better to go with fish and not other meats

ETA: watch this too. a good reason to know where your meat comes from.http://www.themeatrix.com/
^^ this. i'm not advocating going 100% vegan, because for some it's just not the right lifestyle choice, but i AM however, advocating for people to choose their meat, dairy and egg sources very wisely.

for me, selective veganism is the best choice for me. i was 100% vegetarian at the age of four (i randomly made the decision when my dad pointed out to me that i was eating pig fat when i'd just eat the fat off the bacon) and then gradually i started eating more meat, fish, chicken, some bacon etc. i need to give up dairy for health reasons (lactose intollerant), i feel healthier when i DONT eat chicken (strangely enough). I want to give up eggs unless I am 100% sure they are from happy chickies. we are going to start buying from the co-op shop so we know the chickies are treated well. the fish i eat will be caught by my dad (he's a spearfisherman) which means when he shoots them, they die an instant death - no drawn out pain and stress. and at least i know its fresh and healthy

Maxysmummy, I know this is kind of off topic, but have you tried goat milk? A lot of people can't drink the pasteurized milk from the store, but can drink/use goat milk, because it is much easier to digest. And I personally recommend getting it raw if at all possible, it is MUCH MUCH healthier raw than pasteurized, whether you are talking about cow milk or goat milk. I went out and got started in raising goats, purely so my kids can get the raw milk. And ten months out of the year (my goats get a break from milking for two months of the year) my kids, IF they get sick at all, are over it faster than any other kid in school.

gentle giants wrote:
Maxysmummy, I know this is kind of off topic, but have you tried goat milk? A lot of people can't drink the pasteurized milk from the store, but can drink/use goat milk, because it is much easier to digest. And I personally recommend getting it raw if at all possible, it is MUCH MUCH healthier raw than pasteurized, whether you are talking about cow milk or goat milk. I went out and got started in raising goats, purely so my kids can get the raw milk. And ten months out of the year (my goats get a break from milking for two months of the year) my kids, IF they get sick at all, are over it faster than any other kid in school.
oh wow that's interesting i'll look into it... hopefully that means i can still eat goats cheese *evil grin*. cheese is my life, giving it up entirely will be so difficult.

maxysmummy wrote:
gentle giants wrote:
oh wow that's interesting i'll look into it... hopefully that means i can still eat goats cheese *evil grin*. cheese is my life, giving it up entirely will be so difficult.
Good luck with it, I hope it works for you. I have no idea what the laws about selling raw milk are like over there, here you have to really jump through hoops to be able to sell raw milk at all, in some states it is totally illegal no matter what. Another reason I decided to get my goats, LOL.

gentle giants wrote:
maxysmummy wrote:
gentle giants wrote:
Good luck with it, I hope it works for you. I have no idea what the laws about selling raw milk are like over there, here you have to really jump through hoops to be able to sell raw milk at all, in some states it is totally illegal no matter what. Another reason I decided to get my goats, LOL.
You're so lucky, goats are soooo gorgeous :) i've wanted one for a while now, ever since i met this fellow:
47053_10150255246750587_886440586_14396960_7198138_n.jpg

2 week old goat! so cute, cuddly like a little puppy :)

Latest posts

Back