Early Neurological Stimulation: Benefits for Baby Bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Is Early Neurological Stimulation (ENS) something that has been tried for baby bunnies before? Would it provide benefits, such as those seen in puppies?

I normally do a baby bunny "boot camp" when babies are around 2 - 3 weeks old. This includes holding them in different positions, touching every part of their body (down to their toes), and overall spending lots of time with them / getting them used to humans. Early socialization is especially important before they open their eyes, as it builds trust and can help them have a great personality in the future!

Here is a helpful link describing ENS for puppies. Looking forward to everyone's input and ideas!

I think it would be helpful and have benefits, though I haven't seen it with bunnies before. The bunny bootcamp is a great idea and I wish the breeder I got Remy from tried to socialize them a bit more! Thanks for sharing and I would love to hear updates about this :D

I think that how you ‘socialize’ is also dependent on what your breeding purpose is. A pet breeder would definitely benefit from that program. For a breeder who shows/breeds for show, you would gear it towards getting the kit used to being handled, like by a show judge...but the bunny must also be accepting of having their nails cut, having teeth checked, etc.
There’s no doubt that early and consistent handling from a very young age helps with personality, but traits are also partly inherited from the parents.

Yes, it does help to some extent. It helps them to be used to people and know that people are generally safe to be around. But I've also found that socialization and handling has it's limits with rabbits. In that a bunny that is handled frequently when little, doesn't necessarily grow up being easy to handle as an adult.

I held and played with my baby bunnies since the moment they were born. They didn't mind at all, would snuggle with me(at least until they wanted down to play), and were perfectly content with being held. They were used to people and not afraid of them. But there were certain bunnies that as they grew older, decided they absolutely hated to be picked up(around the time of their teenage phase). They are 8 years old now and it's never changed, they still hate to be picked up. And I don't do it very often now with those rabbits, only when necessary. Maybe some rabbits have a more nervous personality that causes this, maybe they are more motion sensitive and it makes them feel nauseous, who knows.

I think that how you ‘socialize’ is also dependent on what your breeding purpose is. A pet breeder would definitely benefit from that program. For a breeder who shows/breeds for show, you would gear it towards getting the kit used to being handled, like by a show judge...but the bunny must also be accepting of having their nails cut, having teeth checked, etc.
There’s no doubt that early and consistent handling from a very young age helps with personality, but traits are also partly inherited from the parents.
Thank you! My pet bunnies are geared towards therapy companions. To me, it is very important they are totally comfortable being handled and love to snuggle and to even recognize different emotions. Obviously every bunny is different, and I totally agree personality is passed down through generations! I work with my show stock as early as 3 weeks to get them used to posing.

Latest posts

Back