Ear tip droop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymum28

Reaction score
I have a 6 week old Californian/Flemish Giant/continental.. and I just noticed today that his ear tip is slightly drooped last time I seen this in a rabbit I was told they were too hot I am just wondering what is going on and before anyone is worried I am the breeder.. as of right now the bunnies live in a basement and it is not quite summer so it's not hot out

If their body temp is warm, it can cause the ears to droop due to the increased blood supply in the ears, which can still happen indoors, especially if moved from outdoors to in and the rabbit still has a thick winter coat. Or even rabbits normally kept indoors, can still get too warm, even when the indoor temp is normal(70 f). There is a mention of it sometimes being caused by nutritional deficiencies, from low vitamin A/E in growing rabbits, due to it affecting cartilage formation.

If it clears up the same day, I would say probably the bunny was just too warm. Maybe offer cool water to drink, a cold tile to lay on, and/or a bottle of frozen water to lay next to, and see if that helps. If it's consistent and continues with no relation to your rabbits body temperature, it could possibly be a vit A/E deficiency from an issue with the rabbits feed pellets. Pellets that have been sitting on the shelf too long at the feed store, then at home, can affect the vitamin content.

Vitamin E Deficiency

(WARNING: CONTAINS GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
Vitamin A toxicity and vitamin E deficiency in a rabbit colony

If the whole ear was drooping, ear injury or infection could be a cause.

Latest posts

Back